Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have updated my kernel 2.4.29 => 2.6.11.8 . i have downloaded the most recent releases from alsa-project.org. 'alsaconf' works fine, it finds my sound card, i select it. In ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ALSA is not working

I have updated my kernel 2.4.29 => 2.6.11.8 . i have downloaded the most recent releases from alsa-project.org. 'alsaconf' works fine, it finds my sound card, i select it. In the end of configuration it tells: "Now ALSA is ready to use. For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer. Have a lot of fun!". I want to use 'alsamixer', but it does not work : "alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory" i try to launch 'alsactl' but it tells me: No soundcards found.

I can't stand alsamixer myself, try aumix and see if that works for you, if not post back here and see what else we can do.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Just Joined!
    aumix: error opening mixer

I was afraid you would say that..

whoah whoah, this may sound stupid but let me ask you: Did you reboot after installing the new kernel?

Just Joined!
    yes, i made a reboot

Just Joined!
    i have read some forum posts and i think i found my problem... in ls mod i see all modules, but 'soundcore' is absent. may it be the problem ?

Possibly.. edit the kernel and make sure under Device Drivers you have everything for your card, also make sure you make them modules, do not put them directly into the kernel - it will not work.

Just Joined!
    everything is in modules... i don't know what's wrong want to see my kernel .config ?

Just Joined!
    i have recompiled kernel, now i see soundcore in lsmod, but i'm still suffering from the same problem

Linux Newbie
    i fought that fight for the better part of 3 mos w/ my slackware 10.1 laptop install...and my desktop, now that i think about it. Finally i just deprecated myself and went back to OSS. So much for "Advanced"!!!
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast