Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am trying to install Slackware, but I haven't a clue where to start. I am used to a graphical or semi graphical install. How do I set my partitions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Where do I start?

I am trying to install Slackware, but I haven't a clue where to start. I am used to a graphical or semi graphical install. How do I set my partitions and add my swap? The FAQs at the top of this forum were not very useful. They were quite limiting to new users.
    MCP | Network+

Linux Engineer
    Read the Slackware Book.

Basically, you want to use a program such as fdisk or cfdisk to partition. Once your drive is partitioned, type "setup". (These are very basic instructions that may not be suitable in your scenario. Look at the documentation.)

Linux Newbie

Thanks

Looks like I will be working into the wee hours of the night. The only thing I got done was the swap and root partitions, then I had to leave for work.
    MCP | Network+

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

The Slackware install is not as intimidating as you might think. Take your time and read each dialog carefully.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Newbie
    Not as bad as Gentoo right?
    MCP | Network+

Quote Originally Posted by COKE CAN
    Did you notice the handbook guide I posted above for installing
    Slackware 10.1 is less than 250,000 words?

Here's the quick & easy version: Slackware Install Highlights.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by COKE CAN
    Slack installs WAY faster than Gentoo, and it's not quite as complicated, although neither of them are bad if you simply pay attention to what you are doing.

Just Joined!
    Are you kidding? Slackware is by far the best. By compiling like a madman in Gentoo you might waste more than 10 hours. As a result you might save 2 seconds on startup of a program (which will be unstable due to the mad optimization). Even that two 2 seconds worth of time won't compensate for the amount of time lost just for the compilation.

I'm not sure when it became so pervasive that Gentoo users are speed freaks. It is very fast but so is Slackware. I wouldn't call the compile time a "waste" since I do it when I'm away from my computer, and therefore it is not time that would have been used for anything else. I like Gentoo because of its different system management approach, which come to think of it is the same reason I also like Slackware. They are both different, unique, and enjoyable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast