Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just got KDE up and running on slackware 10.1, when it starts i get the KPersonalizer, i can set the country and language but i think maybe the resolution is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

KDE Resolution problem.

Just got KDE up and running on slackware 10.1, when it starts i get the KPersonalizer, i can set the country and language but i think maybe the resolution is a bit messed up because i cant see where i have to press to continue. Any ideas?

It sounds like you're running at low resolution alright. What resolution does your monitor support? Try running SaX2 again and matching up your resolution. I usually get around the 'not seeing buttons' problem by tabbing to the buttons offscreen and hitting space until one does what I need I'm sure with a quick SaX2 runthrough you'll be fine.

Excuse the ignorance but how would i go about using running and using SaX2 ?

You can go to YaST under the system menu, then choose hardware, then Graphics Card and Monitor. Alternatively you can go to a terminal, something like konsole, then type
    Code:
    sax2
    This will prompt you for your password, then you can go through configuration again.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    You can go to YaST under the system menu, then choose hardware, then Graphics Card and Monitor. Alternatively you can go to a terminal, something like konsole, then type
    Code:
    sax2
    This will prompt you for your password, then you can go through configuration again.
    Erm, YaST and SaX2 only exist in SuSE (sax2 also in yoper) and the distro is question here is Slackware
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Shoot sorry - My mistake, I have a bad habit of looking at distros listed under the avatar...Sorry for the time wasting there Dave.

My slack experience is limited outside of Slax and an install about a year ago. Anyone else know of the tools in Slack? xorgcfg?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Shoot sorry - My mistake, I have a bad habit of looking at distros listed under the avatar...Sorry for the time wasting there Dave.

My slack experience is limited outside of Slax and an install about a year ago. Anyone else know of the tools in Slack? xorgcfg?
    I usually set my resolution in xorg.conf
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    I will show you a snippet from my lappy:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    HorizSync 31.5-50.0
    VertRefresh 40-90
    #VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "Monitor Model"
    EndSection
    I think this works out to about 1024x768 you can mess with the VertRefresh rate to make it even smaller try 60-120 (you can see all of your choices if you run xorgconfig
    NOTE: check with your manufactures monitor manual for accepted screen sizes.

Good luck
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

no worries bigtomrodney. gonna give editing the xorg.conf a go.

Dave

Added

HorizSync 31.5-50.0
    VertRefresh 40-90

to the .conf but it was a bit too big so as mentioned i tried 60-120 and bingo its perfect.

Thank you very much guys

Just Joined!

Hidden buttons running KDE in low resolution

I frequently run KDE in low resolution (like in VMWare without the video drivers). Although I think it violates their guidelines, there are many dialogs (even in the KDE control center) that can't fit their contents and their buttons on the screen in 800x600.

Here's the trick when you can't see the buttons:

Use the window panning feature by holding down the ALT key and left clicking and dragging the window around until the buttons are visible.