Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I need help setting up my wireless network on Slackware Linux 10.1 I have a Linksys wireless G pci card And did a full install of linux I tested linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Network

I need help setting up my wireless network on Slackware Linux 10.1

I have a Linksys wireless G pci card

And did a full install of linux

I tested linux on a virtual pc and loved it i had internet and everything but now i did a real install i cant get internet

Linux Newbie
    does lspci find your wireless card listed?
    I don't think there are any kernel level compilable drivers for Linksys wirless G cards, so are you running ndiswrapper w/ the Windows versions of said cards?
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Just Joined!

Do What

I Have no idea what lspci is i am new to Linux but very very good with windows computers and hardware i am almost A+ Cert.

So i can understand most things about computers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Open a terminal, (konsole is good since you can copy and paste with it), and type this in and press enter...
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci
    You should see something similar to this...
    Code:
    02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82801BD PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 81)
    Now, copy what you see there, and paste it here. That way, we'll be able to see what wireless card and version you have to better figure out how to get you up and running...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I cant put the txt file on a floppy disk i dont have one and my cd burner does not work

but It Says the Network controler is Unkown

But i have a Linksys Wireless G PCI WMP54Gv4

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Wiz_Xp
    But i have a Linksys Wireless G PCI WMP54Gv4
    You'll need to use the ndiswrapper. I've never used it so hopefully someone else can give you more info on this...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie
    ok, that's the same card i'm using.

there are some very good howto's over on the sourceforge site for ndiswrapper...and since you have that card (presumably with the XP drivers on the funky green & blue CD) you can just use those for your drivers.

If you follow the sourceforge how-to for ndiswrapper (1.1) it will work.

once you get it up and running (and following those directions to the letter will get you to that point) you will be all set, unless you're running WPA on your AP. If you are, then you need to download the WPA_Supplicant also...which is a whole nother ball of yarn.

all in all, the card will work... as long as you try exactly what you're supoposed to.
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigPhish
    ok, that's the same card i'm using.

there are some very good howto's over on the sourceforge site for ndiswrapper...and since you have that card (presumably with the XP drivers on the funky green & blue CD) you can just use those for your drivers.

If you follow the sourceforge how-to for ndiswrapper (1.1) it will work.
    Same here. I'm using that card on Slackware and it works well with the Windows drivers and ndiswrapper. The instructions on sourceforge are spot on.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
    Registered Linux user #389109
    My Semi-Linux Blog

Just Joined!

why would lspci not see my card

installed ndiswrapper-1.1 and got the inf file installed from the cd included with the card, ndiswrapper did not say hardware present
    card is AIR-CB21AG-A-K9, http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Cisco_80...APTER_FCC_CNFG

i'm using an ibm thinkpad a21m, slackware 10 'install everything', first foray into pcmcia on linux

i'm trying to find but can't locate any documentation that says what the pcmcia slots are, like type 1 type 2

laptop has a built-in nic, it's configured and i can network

cardctl status says: 3.3V 16-bit PC Card function 0: [busy], [bat dead], [bat low]

cardctl indent locks up, i eject the card cardctl ident finishes not finding anything

i thought i read somewhere that this card is 0x168 from lspci but i'm not seeing that anywhere

is there a way i can tell if 32 bit cardbus support is installed in the kernel?

if there's any info, anything i can provide to narrow this down please let me know

thank you

Just Joined!
    witch set of instructions do i use

i cant find the instructions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast