Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got a couple of questions on Slackware 10.1. I wasn't sure if they were specific to Slack or if I should post in Linux Newbie, so here goes anyway. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Some Slackware questions

I've got a couple of questions on Slackware 10.1. I wasn't sure if they were specific to Slack or if I should post in Linux Newbie, so here goes anyway.

1. I've added lines to the end of my rc.local to initalise my Linksys wifi card. Is there a more appropriate place to put this stuff?

2. I use a dynamic dns updater on my Slack box to keep my IP updated with my hostname on the Internet. It needs to always run in the background. At the moment I added a line to the end of my rc.local to make it run, but with it like this it never actually reaches the login prompt. How can I silently run it in the background so it reaches the login?

3. MySQL on Slackware 10.1 gives an error on bootup every time. I've installed Slack 10.1 on 2 different machines and it does the same thing. Anyone know what this is and how to avoid it? I can't remember the exact error, I'll post it when I get home tonight. (something to do with mysql.pid if I remember correctly)

Thanks all
    Registered Linux user #389109
    My Semi-Linux Blog

Linux Engineer
    I can help you with your first question I think . rc.local is a good place to put it, but haven't you any scripts in /etc/rc.d/ for wireless lan specifically?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Enthusiast
    on number 2) in rc.local, try puttting an ampersand after the command to run it in the background

e.g

dynamicupdater &

it should then continue to login

rc.local is fine for those wifi lines, you could make your own rc.wifi or something, doesnt it have rc.wireless.conf, I guess you could make an rc.wireless to match, but you'd need to call it in rc.S or rc.M, or even rc.local anyway, so its not such a bad choice.

hope this helps

Looks good, thanks guys

I noticed rc.local is called at the end of rc.M anyway.

Based on that, am I right in presuming there's no difference or benefit in creating an 'rc.wireless' and calling it from rc.M, instead of adding the lines to the end of rc.local like I currently do?
    Registered Linux user #389109
    My Semi-Linux Blog

As for mysqld, I have not been able to get it to run except for the mysqld_safe module. I can't rember the exact command, but try running the "safe" start in the background and see if that works for ya...it does for me.
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stokes
    Based on that, am I right in presuming there's no difference or benefit in creating an 'rc.wireless' and calling it from rc.M, instead of adding the lines to the end of rc.local like I currently do?

correct, only that rc.local is executed last