Find the answer to your Linux question:
Where is the package manager? Is there any updater for slackware 10.1? I want to update the packages....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

package manager& updater for Slackware 10.1

Where is the package manager?

Is there any updater for slackware 10.1? I want to update the packages.
    S. M. Ibrahim
    Registered Linux User # 394440

Pentium-IV 3.00 Ghz(Cache -2MB, 64 bit), 512 MB RAM , 128 MB agp, 160 GB Hdd (SATA)

Slackware does not have a official package manager that does everything for you, but ofcourse you can download the ner packages and use 'installpkg [package]' to install them.

There is some package managers for slackware though that you can download and install.

Swaret-
    http://swaret.sourceforge.net/index.php
    It is a preatty easy package manager that uses the slackware .tgz -packages, you'll have to configure swaret so that it downloads packages from the current directory in the mirror to get the newest packages installed.

Emerde-
    http://emerde.freaknet.org/
    has used the Gentoo portage as a base and ported it so that it can be used on Slackware, it can use both Slackware .tgz's and to install from source.

Linux User
    I'm not sure about a native package manager for Slackware (never really used it), but you can try using this apt-like package manager for Slackware: http://freshmeat.net/projects/slaptget/

oz
    forum.guy
    Pkgtool is the main app for updating/upgrading Slackware, but it's for installing/updating at the local level. If you want something similar to Debian's apt-get programs, you can use Slackpkg. It's included with the Slackware distribution. You can also use Slapt-get, or Swaret by downloading and installing them.

I've used all of these apps and they worked well for me.

oops... some people were faster than me at hitting the enter key! :P

Linux Enthusiast
    in my opinion using your own rsync script to mirror the slackware repository and then typing upgradepkg *.tgz is FAR easier than dealing with swaret or slapt.

I can provide a script for anyone too if they want mine

Use Slackpkg.
    It is the easiest to configure & can sync to any version you want.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.