Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by kern I'll have to check them out, I'd rather use checkinstall which I've tried before, to make packages and install those, at least they can come off ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by kern
    I'll have to check them out, I'd rather use checkinstall which I've tried before, to make packages and install those, at least they can come off afterwards
    Same here, I will check out both of these. Thanks for the hints!
    Registered Linux user #389109
    My Semi-Linux Blog

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm going to check that guide again too, I used to use kriegers site a while back for packages, he's great.

I missed a few things i want to configure before compiling *****X, can i not just dl it again make the changes then compile it over itself? Not very sure how things work yet but getting there slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by stokes
    Same here, I will check out both of these. Thanks for the hints!
    If you are going to use checkinstall at least be sure to use Pat's version which is tuned for Slackware.

It's in the 'extra' packages.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by dave`2005
    I missed a few things i want to configure before compiling *****X, can i not just dl it again make the changes then compile it over itself?
    If you have not yet installed the package you don't need to download it again. You can just run the configure command again with your revisions. If you have already installed it then just do the following and start the process over within the same source folder:

# make uninstall
    # make clean
    # ./configure --<your revisisons>
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ahh... Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    checkinstall -ss works like a dream

except it auto installs the package after, but no biggie

I dont know who said they leave mess, but they dont , the packages uninstall fine just like any other official slackware package

I have already converted 10 apps over to pkgs now

woot thanks to whoever suggested it

Quote Originally Posted by kern
    I dont know who said they leave mess, but they dont , the packages uninstall fine just like any other official slackware package
    It has installwatch as a dependency (hopefully you already installed that package) so I would think the uninstall should be fairly complete. The problem you can run into is where it places the installed files on your system. They may not be according to Slack conventions. Like I said, just be sure you are using Pat's version of checkinstall in the extras folder. It has been patched to adhere better with Slackware installation methods.

Linux Enthusiast
    yeah I'm using pats

I have no installwatch though installed

works like a dream, its just you having to be careful with the prefix and actually inspecting the pkg after with tar ftz pkg | less to see its contents

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2