Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was going to install Slackware 8.0 on a ReiserFS partition that I used with another distro, but I read in the help that the partition should be Linux 83, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 8.0 on ReiserFS

I was going to install Slackware 8.0 on a ReiserFS partition that I used with another distro, but I read in the help that the partition should be Linux 83, so can be any problem? I guess not, but I want to be sure.
    Thanks for the help.

Linux Engineer
    If you're going for a new slackware install, why don't you try 10.1, the latest version?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

wfw
    Just Joined!
    there will be version 10.2 in a few days

Linux Newbie
    Hi

linux 83 is the partition type, while ReiserFS is the file system type. They are two different thing.

If you create a partiton for your linux using say "cfdisk", you will have to create it as as linux 83 type. (linux swap partitons are 82 I believe).

You then put a Reiser file system on the partition by formatting the partition using something like

Code:
    mkfs -t reiserfs /dev/hd*
    A tutorial which covers it is here:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...orials/4232/4/

Hope this helps.

Bubo
    My Computer Once Beat Me at Chess, but it is No Match for Me at Kickboxing !

Registered Linux User: #417183

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replys. Answering to the doubt, I will install Slack 8 just to see how Slack was back in middle of 2001, just for curiosity.

In my case I already have a working ReiserFS partition from another Linux distribution that I used, so I guess I only will have to format it with "mkfs -t reiserfs /dev/hda7" (my linux partition) to remove the old data before install Slack in it. But now another question comes to my mind. In the end of the install process, Slack 8 will inquire me to install lilo in the MBR? If so, this can consist in a problem since a have a Grub in the MBR? Or Slack will simple overwrite the MBR, erasing Grub from MBR to then put Lilo?
    Again, thanks for the answers

Linux Engineer
    Just choose to not install the Lilo of your new slackware install at all. Then boot your other existing distro with GRUB, and add the new Slackware install to GRUB's boot list. That should do it.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I will do that

I was going to install it by NFS. Following the steps, first I gave my IP adress, after that the Subnet mask number and by last the adress of my gateway.
    But after that he ask me:
    Code:
     First, we need the IP adress of the machine where the slackware sources are stored. What is the IP adress of your NFS server?
    How I can find the IP adress of the FTP server that I intend to use?

And skipping it, going to the next step, it says:
    Code:
     There must be a directory on the server which the slackware packages and files arranged in a tree like the FTP site. The installation script needs to know the name of the directory on your server that contains the disk subdirectorys. For example, if your 13 disk is found at /slack/slackware/a3, them you would respond: /slack/slackware
    So in my case I should pass this adress: ftp://ftp.belnet.be/packages/slackwa...-8.0/slakware/ that is the the link for the FTP that I intend to use, or I am doing it wrong ?