Find the answer to your Linux question:
i installed the "grub 0.97" package from linuxpackages.org. how do i setup grub without the use of a floppy? any help appreciated weed...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

getting grub to work

i installed the "grub 0.97" package from linuxpackages.org.

how do i setup grub without the use of a floppy?

any help appreciated

weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Linux Engineer
    Excellent tutorial here.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    If you are trying to do a grub-install and you don't have a floppy drive (like in my case) then grub will appear to freeze (or maybe it just takes too much time, but I decided not to wait to see).

Type man grub-install and read the command line options, there is one that indicates grub to not search for the floppy drive. If I remember correctly you also need to delete a file if you previously tried the grub-install command, but I can't remember which file, I just know that it was in the /boot/grub/ directory. You could delete the grub directory and reinstall the package and then issue the grub-install command again with the command line switch to avoid searching the floppy drive.

I apologize for not being able to give you more details but I don't have access to that computer right now and won't have in the next three days.

Linux Guru
    This link may be helpful, too, not to mention running the command 'info grub'.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better