Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok just installed slackware and i did the startx command to get my desktop default gnome started,But this just puts my monitor on standby and nothing happens How do i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

gnome

Ok just installed slackware and i did the startx command to get my desktop default gnome started,But this just puts my monitor on standby and nothing happens How do i start the desktop enviroment up.

The monitor rates set in xorg.conf are probably not correct for your monitor and your monitor goes into standby mode to protect itself, do xorgsetup as root and follow that through, once that's done use xwmconfig to select your window manager and hopefully that should do the trick.
    If this fails to work you can try finding the correct rates for your monitor through google and editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf by hand to set the rates accordingly.

gnome

Ok but now im stuck in 640x480 and i cant change it on the desktop option's.

It will use vesa as default when you first start up as that's what is available for it, you'll need to install the driver for your card in order to get the full benefit from it, what card do you have

linux

I have the nvidia geforce fx 5200,And when i login i just put 'root' then passwd then startx, it comes up with some error but i cant catch it, then thats when the monitor goes blank ,I have done the xorgsetup and set it to 24bit true colour and installed the nvida driver but it still was on 640 x whatever i did eddit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed the 'nv' to 'nvidia' under driver.
    This happens on both my amd pc and p3.I just cant get anymore resolution options.