Find the answer to your Linux question:
That's right, downloaded the ISOs and installed it today. Pretty involved installtion, and I wasn't too sure what some of those packages where. I actually messed up the installation the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Just installed Slackware 10.1

That's right, downloaded the ISOs and installed it today. Pretty involved installtion, and I wasn't too sure what some of those packages where. I actually messed up the installation the first time around trying manually select the packages I wanted. Doesn't really matter cause I got it running and that's good enough. This is actually the first time I try a non-Debian based distro, I've had/have Knoppix, DSL, Debian Etch and Ubuntu 5.04, mainly cause I really liked the package manager. The biggest difference I see between the Debian distros and Slackware is the lack of packages.

Anyway, let me ask a few questions...

1. I would like to get Open Office, but don't see it anywhere in the packages page, does Slackware have package for it? I'd really hate to compile from source and would probably just look for something else. If it's not available as a package, is there any package that will open the office files (.doc, .pps, .xls, etc)?

2. Where can I get the kernel header for the kernel in the system? I need to install some drivers which need the kernel header. FYI, I installed the default kernel during the setup process.

oz
    forum.guy
    You can install the regular Openoffice package available from their website, or you can get a Slackware specific package that's available from http://www.linuxpackages.net

I think all the kernel stuff is available on one of the Slackware CDs. Did you download all of them?

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    I think all the kernel stuff is available on one of the Slackware CDs. Did you download all of them?
    Nop, just 1 and 2. I did choose to install the kernel source during the installtion, but that didn't come with the kernel header. I checked the FTP for it but couldn't find anything. Also looked for it under the package search option.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    you need the kernel-headers-2.4.x package

and you can download the beta 2.0 tarball of oo.o and convert it using rpm2tgz

tar xzvf tarball

cd dir

rpm2tgz *.rpm

installpkg *.tgz

you can then keep the tgz pkgs and delete the rpms

hope this helps