Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm slowly progressing with slackware, anyways I've been trying to figure out how to get out of the text based mode and into GUI. So I uess startx does that? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Startx problem [edited]

I'm slowly progressing with slackware, anyways I've been trying to figure out how to get out of the text based mode and into GUI. So I uess startx does that? When i enter in startx my screen starts showing up these queerish colors. If you stair at it for a few it hurts your eyes.

So what happened here?

Thank you

Linux Engineer
    Don't know about the scan thing, maybe setting monitor rates or scanning a disk for errors? Try and report the message you get when this happens.

The login is nothing to do with your isp. Each user in linux has to login with a username and password. It's the user you set up during the install and it sounds like you logged in just fine.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    bump.

Thanks, Chris H. I'll get that error message

EDIT: This is the error I get when I boot slack: You passes an undefined mode number.

Press return to see aviable modes Press space to continue with current mode.

When I press enter to select modes I entered the first one [0] which is 80x35 I'm not 100% sure but if I press pace and continue with the one select it's the exate same as I select, the only one that fits my monitor, 1280x1024

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Run xorgconfig as root and enter the correct information when the script asks about your monitor, video card, keyboard, and mouse:

Code:
    xorgconfig
    HowTo here:

http://www.slackbook.org/html/x-wind...TEM-XORGCONFIG

Just Joined!
    I did that already, any other solution?

oz
    forum.guy
    If you entered the correct information when you ran xorgconfig, "startx" should get you going. If that's not bringing up an x window, I'm betting you have chosen either the wrong driver for your video card, or entered in some incorrect settings for it.

You might take a look at this FAQ to see if one of these errors matches your problem: http://wiki.x.org/wiki/FAQ

Linux Engineer
    Found an answer on the interwebby.

Edit /etc/lilo.conf and amend vga=xxx to vga=1 and then run /sbin/lilo, all as root.

Then reboot and startx
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys, I got everything I needed fix.

Just Joined!

Re: Startx problem [edited]

Quote Originally Posted by Tecµ
    I'm slowly progressing with slackware, anyways I've been trying to figure out how to get out of the text based mode and into GUI. So I uess startx does that? When i enter in startx my screen starts showing up these queerish colors. If you stair at it for a few it hurts your eyes.

So what happened here?

Thank you
    did you run xorgconfig/xorgsetup prior to starting X? Sounds like something is not set up right. Mine works fine but still whenever I logout of X I get a ot errors I think are display related.

Just Joined!

Re: Startx problem [edited]

Quote Originally Posted by dyn0myt3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecµ

So what happened here?

Thank you
    did you run xorgconfig/xorgsetup prior to starting X? Sounds like something is not set up right. Mine works fine but still whenever I logout of X I get a ot errors I think are display related.
    I ran xorgsetup it was the only way I could get into startx. Then i had to edit my xorg.conf and add the lines HorizSync and VertRefresh. when I logout I get errors also, aswell yellow lines when in startx