Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I was just saying that I'm not sure of the version of Mozilla that I'm using and that it's the version that is installed with Slack 10.1. Sorry abou tthe ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

I was just saying that I'm not sure of the version of Mozilla that I'm using and that it's the version that is installed with Slack 10.1. Sorry abou tthe confusing, I try to say/type too fast and it doesn't always work out.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bidi
    I try to say/type too fast and it doesn't always work out.
    me too, mine is brought on by too much coffee. there are a ton of SLackware links on the below link. I'll keep looking.
    Dyn0

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=00074#0

Linux Engineer
    Starting up with a different profile is what mozilla (and FF) is meant to do in the penguin. If you want to have seperate windows running under the same mozilla process then you have to include a switch to do so.

See man mozilla and note the -remote option and the openurl command.

For example if you have linuxforums open and want to open a new window from the command line then you have to go

$ mozilla-firefox -remote "openurl(http://www.linuxforums.org,new-window)"

HTH
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Enthusiast
    I'll keep trying to get this to work. There are other things that I still need to get working which are more important that a browser. If I eventually get it working I'll post how I did it here.

Linux Engineer
    bidi, see my post above.

Map the example to your mozilla button and you'll get a new window each time.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Enthusiast
    I only saw it after I posted that reply. I'll try that next time.

Thanks for the info.

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, that sort of worked! I'm able to open multiple browsers now, but i need two buttons to open it. One to open it initially, which is setup to just run ""mozilla"; and another button setup to run "mozilla -remote "openurl(about:blank,new-window)"". I'm still looking into how Debian got both commands under 1 button. I'll post again if I get it going.

Linux Enthusiast
    OK, I found it and looked into it. Debian actually opens a shell script that checks for a whole bunch of crap (really professional). Would really be a pain in the butt trying to transfer all this stuff over to Slackware and get it running. I'll see if I can create a simple script to check if there's any instant of mozilla running and if there is open it with the appropriate parameters. I have pretty limited programming and shell scripting skills, but I'll see what I can do. If I ever get it, I'll post the script here.

Not sure what is different about my installation of Slack and/or Firefox, but I can open multiple instances of Firefox. I can open links as new windows or in a tab by right-clicking on the link.
    If you could let me know which configuration file to look for I will post it.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by dyn0myt3
    hi DrakeBasher, well it seems i was typing "goggle" instead of "google". I thought it really weird i was getting hammered on googles site. I will check the iptables. Normally I get no popups this is the first time i experienced this.
    Under SLack 10.1, If you open more than 1 instance of Mozilla it asks you to create a new account, i had the same thing happen on my Box. I quit using Mozilla due to the original problem that started the thread. I will attempt to recreate. be back in a bit.
    update: I Can confirm this issue now. I had 1 mozilla browser open then tried to open another from the "start" menu and i got the "create profile" box. There is a check box that says
    "dont ask at startup" but i check it and i get an error saying
    "Mozilla can not use the default profile because it is in use. Please choose another or create a new one"
    Now, when I check my mail in Yahoo and click a link, it opens another Mozilla window instead of a new tab and I do not get that error. For now I suggest surfing with Konqurer and try setting up your mail with Mozilla, splitting the duties between them seemed to work for me before. using both the mozilla mail and browser will also lead to this error. i think.
    Thanks
    Dyn0
    As for the profile being in use: the problem can be there is a lock file present in your config directory (~/.firefox/ or something similar).
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast