Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
I don't think that the problem is Slackware because I use Suse 9.3 and I get the same message....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I don't think that the problem is Slackware because I use Suse 9.3 and I get the same message.

Linux Enthusiast
    In my Debian install, the command that the Mozilla opens is actually a shell script that tests for a bunch of crap including if there is a browser already open. Can you check if your button/shortcut executes a shell script or just the firefox program itself? If it's a shell script, can you check to see what the script does, or just post it here?

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    This looks promising
    Yes it does... I'm going to try that out.

Linux Enthusiast
    OK, I got it working! I had to slightly modify the code though. Here's the steps I took:

First I renamed the file /usr/bin/mozilla to /usr/bin/mozilla-bin.
    Code:
    # mv mozilla mozilla-bin
    Then I created the new shell script with the modified code in it. I had to modify the way mozilla was called or else it wouldn't work. I checked the Mozilla man page and there was no "-a" option, so I removed that whole part.
    Code:
    # ~/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/mozilla-bin -remote "openurl(about:blank,new-window)" ||
    exec /usr/bin/mozilla-bin;
    Since this file was create with root, the permissions are screwy, so you need to change group and allow all to execute.
    Code:
    # chgrp bin mozilla
    # chown +x mozilla
    And that's it. Opens everytime with no problem. If you try to open it using the xterm you will notice an error will be generated saying there is no Mozilla instance running, that's due to the first line. But then it still open the browser because of the second line. If an instance is already open, there's no error and open the page you specify in the "openurl" section. I like mine to be "about:blank", I've noticed the program opens faster that way.

EDIT: Had to edit cause some stuff didn't make sense.

Just Joined!
    just press ctrl-n to make a new window once a mozilla window is already open.

Linux Engineer
    Hi spyrao what bidi has done is to rewrite the actions on his mozilla desktop button so it doesn't keep bringing up the profile manager if you click more than once.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Enthusiast
    What he said. The only catch with that is that if you close the first browser you opened, it'll close all the other ones. I still can't think of a better way to get that working without having to write a complex script like what Debian has.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3