Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
So how does that work under Slackware. For some reason, whenever i try to open more than one browser it asks me to create a new profile. What am I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Openning multiple Mozilla browsers

So how does that work under Slackware. For some reason, whenever i try to open more than one browser it asks me to create a new profile. What am I missing?

Just Joined!

mozilla issues

i had the same problem so I started using Konquerer which is now SLAMMING me with popups. I stopped browsing with Mozilla and used it only for mail.
    Did you try Mozilla's site?

SLack 10.1 w/ XDE 3.3.2
    AMD XP 1.6
    Soyo K7V Dragon
    ATI Radeon 9800

dyn0

Linux Guru

Re: mozilla issues

Quote Originally Posted by dyn0myt3
    ...which is now SLAMMING me with popups...
    Is your firewall up? Pop-ups are rare for me, even with Fedora's default configuration.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Re: mozilla issues

I just reinstalled after a month or so of not running Linux at all. but I did not have a firewall set up before. I went to the google/linux page and got 4 all at once.
    I Have no experience with pop up blocker or firewall for linux.
    Thanks for you reply.

Dyn0

Linux Guru
    I don't mean to hijack your thread, bidi. I don't have Slackware 10.1, but I have seen the "Create New Profile" dialog box before. Seems it's only happened when I click the browser icon too many times, having gotten impatient with it not opening quickly enough.

dyn0myt3-If you just did an install, I would think you would have at least a minimal firewall. You can see what's there (not that you'll make much sense of it ) by doing 'iptables -L' as root user. You may want to download a firewall manager like firestarter or Guarddog (?). To block pop-ups, you may need to set a preference. I'm not at a Linux machine to confirm it, but on Mozilla at this Windows machine, Edit->Preferences->Privacy & Security->Popup Windows->select "Block unrequested popup windows".
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    hi DrakeBasher, well it seems i was typing "goggle" instead of "google". I thought it really weird i was getting hammered on googles site. I will check the iptables. Normally I get no popups this is the first time i experienced this.
    Under SLack 10.1, If you open more than 1 instance of Mozilla it asks you to create a new account, i had the same thing happen on my Box. I quit using Mozilla due to the original problem that started the thread. I will attempt to recreate. be back in a bit.
    update: I Can confirm this issue now. I had 1 mozilla browser open then tried to open another from the "start" menu and i got the "create profile" box. There is a check box that says
    "dont ask at startup" but i check it and i get an error saying
    "Mozilla can not use the default profile because it is in use. Please choose another or create a new one"
    Now, when I check my mail in Yahoo and click a link, it opens another Mozilla window instead of a new tab and I do not get that error. For now I suggest surfing with Konqurer and try setting up your mail with Mozilla, splitting the duties between them seemed to work for me before. using both the mozilla mail and browser will also lead to this error. i think.
    Thanks
    Dyn0

Linux Enthusiast
    Konqueror isn't an option! I don't have neither KDE nor GNOME installed. I'm pretty low maintanance and use XFCE and don't even burn the second CD. I'd just like to use more than one browser at a time.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bidi
    Konqueror isn't an option! I don't have neither KDE nor GNOME installed. I'm pretty low maintanance and use XFCE and don't even burn the second CD. I'd just like to use more than one browser at a time.
    Ok; did you check Mozillas site? Your not the only one seeing it so its a bug that hopefully can be fixed. What Version are you running?
    Have you seen this in Debian too? Wonder if its Slack specific problem.
    Do you use Mozilla mail client or just the browser?
    Do you get the error when you click a link and it opens another mozilla window? This is the only time I don't get that error.
    I attempted to create new accounts and this did not resolve the problem.

dyn0

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm using the Mozilla version that comes with Slack 10.1, I don't have internet and no choice but to run that. I've check Mozilla's website, but they have nothing that I could find about the problem. Seems like it only happens in Slackware, I've used other distros with Mozilla and never had this kind of problem. My problem is exactly like yours though, if a link open it, there's no problem, but can't manually open a new window.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bidi
    I'm using the Mozilla version that comes with Slack 10.1, I don't have internet and no choice but to run that.
    Ok, that's confusing, can you be a little more specific?

I would email mozilla's tech support, I got so frustrated i had to quit using it. Although it seems to be the default browser in my install.
    I have no experience with Xfce but that does not seem to be the problem as I am using KDE 3.3.2
    You could try the Slackware News group but those guys are hardcore, so tread lightly if you go there. I found it thru using the news groups in Mozilla. I cant find a link but I'll keep looking. Thats the best alternative I can give you.
    Good luck.
    Dyno

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast