Find the answer to your Linux question:
Let me just give a quick back ground before I go into what I need to ask. I have a wireless USB LAN adapter that took me a few months ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Changing interface name!

Let me just give a quick back ground before I go into what I need to ask. I have a wireless USB LAN adapter that took me a few months to get working under Debian. It was a pain to setup everything, but it eventually worked. Now I seem to be having some issues getting it up with Slackware because the driver names it's interface as atml0 but Slack refers to the LAN interfaces as eth*.

I already properly set up rc.wireless.conf, and it's correct because whenever I run rc.wireless it successfully sets up the interface (I checked using iwconfig). The problem comes when I try to use the rc.inet1 script. I looked into it's config file (rc.inet1.conf) and it seems like it's only made to configure eth* interfaces, and since my wireless interface is set as atml0 it becomes a problem. Is there anyway to work around this?

Linux Guru
    Maybe someone knows better, and if not, you should research this yourself, but I think maybe you want to add aline in /etc/modules.conf something like 'alias /dev/eth0 atml0' or 'alias eth0 atml0'
    No warranty....
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, right now that sounds better than nothing and actually makes sence.

Thanks