Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok ive made a swap at the begining as logical and type (82) its twice the size of my ram,And a primary partition as type 83 and made it bootable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

x not starting for user or root.

Ok ive made a swap at the begining as logical and type (82) its twice the size of my ram,And a primary partition as type 83 and made it bootable and then write,typed yes then quit,Is this the best way to partition for the slackware im having problems when i reboot at the finish and make a user acount start x wont start the user, and my screen resolution is jamed on 640 x 480 ,and my /etc/X11/xorg.conf is full of zero's.It's the same in root and the nividia drivers did nothing.

Okay, what errors (if any) you get when you start X? How are you starting X (as which user and via gdm (or simmilar) or via the CLI). Can you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

slackware

Well i was told to make a user ,so i didn't log in as root.So i did useradd james then passwd james as root,after that was done i came out of root and loged in as james then typed startx this gave me many errors like no fonts no windows no gnome and so on,When i log in as root its stuck in the 640 x mode,when i get online with the slackware then i will post my /etc/X11/xorg.conf,but at this time i'm lost.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Have you tried reconfiguring xorg.conf? Just do "xorgconfig" as root and answer the questtions correctly.

And can you get into the X system but jumping right into run level 4 (typing "init 4" as root)?

slackware

Ok that seems to of helped thxs,but im still using root i have made a user acount with useradd james but when i log in and startx with james i get this error,

Code:
    time out in loading athority file.//.x athority.

hey i know youve probably fixed this or moved on but this happened to me and the only way i found to get around it was to use useradd -m instead of plain useradd. i dont exactly know what it does, but it worked for me!
    please click my minicity!
    or its industry more or even its roads
    Everyone is immortal until the day they die.
    Registered Linux user #462038

Hi stinkoman !

This thread is pretty old. I would suggest to post suggestions in a bit recent threads only.
    Thread Locked.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First