Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just upgraded to 10.2 with the new kernel 2.6.13 and i got no mouse. I do an Xorg -configure then cp /root/xorg.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf and i can bring up kde ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

no mouse???

I just upgraded to 10.2 with the new kernel 2.6.13 and i got no mouse. I do an Xorg -configure then cp /root/xorg.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf and i can bring up kde but i cant move the mouse. i tried editing the xorg conf to ps/2 but still no joy if anyone can help i would greatly appriciate it thank you

Just Joined!
    WGS84 phi = 45 48 31.7 lambda = 15 57 49.0
    if mouse worked with stock kernel 2.4.31, u shold revert back to 2.4.31

Just Joined!
    but why?? i gotta keep ahead of my friend joe if hes running 2.6.12 then i gott a run no less. ive doen all I can to keep ahead and people look to me for help with their problems. if i cant get 2.6.13 to work then we might loose them to the evils of micorshaft winblows. please any help would be greatly appriciated.

Linux Enthusiast
    First off, as far as I know, it's against forum rules to refer to Microsoft's OS in that way.

Afar from that, have you tried just running the "xorgconfig" script? When I ran mine, all I did was set the mouse to "Auto" (option 1) and say the device was located at "/dev/mouse". I even have mouse in pure text mode, which is a bit useless since you can't really click anything, but it's there.

Linux Newbie
    I too had problems running Kernel 2.6 in Slackware 10.2. 2.4.31 works like a charm though.

try /dev/input/mice if /dev/mouse doesn't work

Why do you need to be "ahead" of your friend? there's nothing wrong with the 2.4 kernel. Haven't you noticed that it comes stock with Slackware? You wanna know why it comes stock with Slackware? because the problem you're having doesn't exist in 2.4, I know that from experience. 2.4 is more refined, and minimalistic--much the same as Slackware. I think you may need to consider a distribution change, slackware doesn't seem to fit your needs.

Don't use Linux because you hate microsoft. Hate microsoft because of the disinformation they spread. Use Linux because It's stable, free, and a congregation of human effort, knowledge, and good intent.

Edit: I should create a Linux ditriution... Wikinux .. or.. WikiOS, or... Wikix. Wiki X. somehow I don't think that would work like I would hope.

Just Joined!

gpm...

In fact, mouse under console is very useful, just cause YOU don't know
    how to use it and which functions it does have, it does not mean it have any...
    Please, read a bit more... Google is your friend...
    And about the under X mouse problem it may not be the kernel
    version, cause I use 2.6.11 with mouse, under X and console....
    The problem is that the xorg is misconfigured...
    There are a good number of persons that works for the kernel to be how it is, so
    remember that you're offending their work when you say that that is a kernel problem...
    so... STFW and RTFM...

Just Joined!
    mouseconfig?

Just Joined!
    I am having a similar problem with 2.6.13

My xorg.cong looks like

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse 1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/s"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Buttons" "7"
    Options "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
    EndSection

in my .xinitrc I have
    xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

My problem is button 2 thumb buttons do not work. In this case button. In this case they should act like back and forward in firefox. if I change my emodmap to xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 6 7" then my scroll wheel will act as back and forward.

I have tried just about everything I can think of to fix this issue and have come up with nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

Linux Newbie
    I've got as much respect for the Linux kernel as the next guy. I'm in no way offending anyone. It is FACT that the 2.4 series works well with hardware as it is. people do not upgrade to the 2.6 kernel because they know the 2.4 kernel to work well with their hardware and have no use for the 2.6 kernel. the 2.6 kernel is still in heavy development. There is no need to put words in my mouth by accusing me that I'm bashing the 2.6 kernel (no pun intended).

Having cleared that up: having xorg configured the same in 2.6.x as 2.4.x results in the problem we're talking about. also, using various protocols and mouse devices still doesn't fix it. The culprit of this mouse issue is still anyone's guess.

Linux Enthusiast
    the 2.6 kernel is far better for desktop support

hotplug
    udev
    automatic usb/firewire scsi addition, no manual rescanning
    better SMP
    IDE-CD module instead of ide-scsi emulation
    sysFS

I use 2.4 on my servers, but not my desktop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast