Find the answer to your Linux question:
spyroboy@britestar:~$ rpm -iv VMware-workstation-5.0.0-13124.i386.rpm error: cannot open Basenames index using db3 - No such file or directory (2) error: cannot open Providename index using db3 - No such file or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VMware RPM

spyroboy@britestar:~$ rpm -iv VMware-workstation-5.0.0-13124.i386.rpm
    error: cannot open Basenames index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
    error: cannot open Providename index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
    error: Failed dependencies:
    /bin/sh is needed by VMwareWorkstation-5.0.0-13124

spyroboy@britestar:~$ ls -a /bin/s*
    /bin/sed* /bin/setterm* /bin/sh@ /bin/shred* /bin/sleep* /bin/sln* /bin/stty* /bin/su* /bin/sulogin@ /bin/sync*

I am having trouble installing VMware from an RPM, and my friend told me to paste those two in here and see what you say, does anyone know how to fix this?

p.s. this is a little off-topic but does anyone know how to burn ISOs to a cd?

Linux Engineer

Re: VMware RPM

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro_boy
    Sorry that I cannot help on the main part of your request; however, burning an iso image is not hard. In linux use either K3B or xcdroast and burn the file as a cd image. In windows you nero or another burner that has the same option, to burn as an image...If you want more of a walkthrough approach visit the tutorials section on this site and there is an excellent walkthrough for burning iso images from all sorts of programs...

good luck
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!

Re: VMware RPM

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyro_boy
    Sorry that I cannot help on the main part of your request; however, burning an iso image is not hard. In linux use either K3B or xcdroast and burn the file as a cd image. In windows you nero or another burner that has the same option, to burn as an image...If you want more of a walkthrough approach visit the tutorials section on this site and there is an excellent walkthrough for burning iso images from all sorts of programs...

good luck
    haha, that was more of a one sided question for linux, yeah I know how to do it in windows but linux seems more confusing. I have nero for linux but it too is an rpm and won't work -__-"

Linux Enthusiast
    avoid directly installing rpm's get the other installer or convert it first using rpm2tgz

also

you can burn using cdrecord, xcdroast, nero, k3b

but with cdrecord you make an iso first then burn it like

2.4 kernel:

cdrecord --scanbus to find your device, probably "0,0,0"
    cdrecord -dev=0,0,0 -speed=8 -eject burnme.iso

2.6 kernel:

cdrecord -dev=/dev/cdrw -speed=8 -eject burnme.iso

hope this helps

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kern
    avoid directly installing rpm's get the other installer or convert it first using rpm2tgz

also

you can burn using cdrecord, xcdroast, nero, k3b

but with cdrecord you make an iso first then burn it like

2.4 kernel:

cdrecord --scanbus to find your device, probably "0,0,0"
    cdrecord -dev=0,0,0 -speed=8 -eject burnme.iso

2.6 kernel:

cdrecord -dev=/dev/cdrw -speed=8 -eject burnme.iso

hope this helps
    i installed xcdroast easily im totally lost trying to burn the ISO, i looked thru all the menus but found nothing..thanks anyway

Just Joined!
    Use k3b for image burning...its a LOT easier

To burn an ISO image to CD using k3b:

1) open k3b
    2) Click Tools in upper menu bar
    3) In the dropdown menu select Burn CD Image.
    4) In the Burn Image dialog, browse to where your image is by clicking the folder button next to "Image to Burn" box. Select your desired ISO image and click OK to close the Choose ISO Image dialog.
    5) Select your burning device. If only one cd writer device available it will be greyed out. Ensure there is a blank CD/CDRW in the drive
    6) When ready click Start button in upper right corner. Burning will then commence.

Hope that helps