Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I added a user account to my system but now I cannot access the files on a NTFS partition. I can't change the permissions because its read only. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NTFS and User Accounts

Hello all. I added a user account to my system but now I cannot access the files on a NTFS partition. I can't change the permissions because its read only. I wanna be able to access my files from both operating systems.

1. Which NTFS driver should I use? Right now its v1.1.22. I found this FAQ
    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html
    which tells me where to get it. I would like to have write support.
    I could also set up a EXT2 that XP would see allowing me access from both operating systems. I did manage to make a fat32 that XP would see as NTFS and that worked but I forgot how I did it. What's your personal preference regarding this setup? Would a kernel upgrade to 2.6.10 help?

2. When I added the new account, all the stuff I had access to as root I now do not. This is just a user account so I all I care about now are my files, I will progress to Linux system files as I need them. plus thats what root is for, right?

/dev/hda (XP; NTFS) No need to screw with this.
    /dev/hdb1 (root) ReiserFS SLack 10.1 kernel 2.4.29
    /dev/hdb2 (swap)
    /devhdb3 (personal files; NTFS. This partition contains what I want.)

Thanks a bunch.
    Dyn0

Linux Newbie
    It's always sad to see a thread with Zero replies, so I have to say something.

writing to NTFS from linux is currently a very new thing. The only thing I've heard is even possible currently is over-writing files that alreadye exist, without changing the file length. and thats it!

hope that helps even a lil bit.

I hope this can be of some help to you... Captive-NTFS It is on the latest Knoppix disc if you wanna give it a try. It uses the actual ntfs drivers from windows so it should write with low risk. Good Luck!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroth404
    It's always sad to see a thread with Zero replies, so I have to say something. writing to NTFS from linux is currently a very new thing. The only thing I've heard is even possible currently is over-writing files that alreadye exist, without changing the file length. and thats it!
    hope that helps even a lil bit.
    thanks for your reply. surely I am not the first idiot to try this;
    Cheers
    Dyn0

someone gave me this link but the project is not being maintained...
    http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/