Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm not sure if this is specific to Slackware or just a general Samba question, so .. sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I'm running Slackware 10.1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Samba on Slack .. can't see shared resources from Windows

I'm not sure if this is specific to Slackware or just a general Samba question, so .. sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I'm running Slackware 10.1 and I've installed Samba and Swat from source. I've configured Samba using Swat by reading the man pages and from what I can gather it should all be working correctly. On my Slack box, Swat shows that my printer and a share I've created called 'tmp' should be accessable by anyone. I can see my Slack box in Windows in 'My Network Places' and it has the right NetBIOS name and description that I set in Samba, but I can't see the shared resources on it. Does anyone know where I might be going wrong?

Edit: Now I'm getting this error in XP when I double click the Slack box in My Network Places: "\\slackbox is not available. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator to find out if you have access permissions. The specified network name is no longer available."
    Registered Linux user #389109
    My Semi-Linux Blog

Linux Newbie
    if your samba share is set up for "user" level security, you need to have matching logins on the unix box & samba configuration to allow whatever the default name is on your windows box. If you don't, you will be unable to see the share or access it's files.

If you use "map network drive" from the windows explorer to map the samba share to a local drive letter, you can use "use another name" box and specify what login / password you want to log in to the samba share box. I find this as the easiest, because the "My Network Places" method of finding shares is too time consuming, it's just easier to map the share to a local drive and have it become a persistent connection that is readily available.

and remember, after every configuration change on the samba share...RESTART IT!
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Linux Enthusiast

Re: Samba on Slack .. can't see shared resources from Windows

Quote Originally Posted by stokes
    I'm not sure if this is specific to Slackware or just a general Samba question, so .. sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I'm running Slackware 10.1 and I've installed Samba and Swat from source.

Why didn't you just use the samba package that comes with 10.1 ? it comes with SWAT already, you're gonna have trouble removing or upgrading samba in future unless you made it into a package before installing it.

ok .. I'm using the Samba/Swat that comes with 10.1 now, and I've created a user on the Samba server that matches the username and password on the Windows side. I still can't see any shared resources from Windows. I can't work out where I'm going wrong .. I had this working on Mandrake not so long ago! Does Samba need a port open or anything like that?

btw I've been restarting Samba after each change using /etc/rc.d/rc.samba.
    My Semi-Linux Blog

Linux Enthusiast
    run 'testparm' to check your samba config definitions are correct.

Here's the result:

Code:
    Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Processing section "[homes]"
    Processing section "[printers]"
    Processing section "[tmp]"
    Processing section "[Brother_HL-820]"
    Loaded services file OK.
    WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.
    These may not be accessible to some older clients.
    (Eg. Windows9x, WindowsMe, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0.)
    Invalid combination of parameters for service Brother_HL-820.                     Level II oplocks can only be set if oplocks are also set.
    Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
    Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
    And this is where my brother printer is specified:

Code:
    [Brother_HL-820]
    comment = Brother HL-820 Foomatic/hl7x0 (recommended)
    path = /var/spool/samba
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    printer name = Brother_HL-820
    oplocks = No
    share modes = No
    My Semi-Linux Blog