Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
as long as your kernel has support for what ever windows file system the partitions have, you just need to have an appropriate mounting command in "fstab". you can hand ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

as long as your kernel has support for what ever windows file system the partitions have, you just need to have an appropriate mounting command in "fstab".

you can hand mount them with the "mount ..." command, but if it's a dual boot system, and the windows partition is on a HD that is sharing the slackware one, you MIGHT as well just mount it at boot and forget about it...then you can just use at will
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Just Joined!
    I put the entries in fstab and can mount one of my two ntfs partitions. But only logged in as root. When I'm logged in as a regular user and try to access them in Konqueror it won't let me. I can mount the partition that is not on the same hard drive as Slackware. Also, when I try to change the permissions to include users with the same group (while root) it won't let me.

Linux Enthusiast
    Did you define it to be mountable by users? You'd do that by adding "user" to the option list. You probably have "owner" there, so you're going to want to remove that part.

Just Joined!
    This is my fstab:
    /dev/hdb5 swap swap default 0 0
    /dev/hdb2 / reiserfs default 1 1
    /dev/hdb3 /home reiserfs default 1 2
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 no auto, owner, ro 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto no auto, owner 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts grid=5,mode=620 0 0
    proc /proc proc default 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/win ntfs ? ? ?
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat ? ? ?

I want to put files on the second to the last line, as well as the last. I can't make the last one load, its my jump drive. The second to the last is my main windows drive. I can copy files from it, but not to it. I says something about being a read only file system. What do I put in the question marks? I have tried multiple combos based on the other mounts (second line, etc.) but they haven't worked.

Linux Enthusiast
    Linux doesn't fully support NTFS, so that's normal. If you want to share files between Windows and Linux you should create another partition and format it FAT. The kernel only has read support for NTFS, cause appearantly it's a heck of a lot easier than writing to it.

As for the pen drive, I've had some problems with certains USB drives under Linux. Some seem to work just fine, and others not at all. I still haven't been able to figure it out and just sort of given up on it.

Just Joined!
    I keep having a error that says "no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab". I don't have a program that I can use to make my secondary windows partition smaller and make a FAT32 partition. I have Western Digital - Data Lifeguard Tools, but I can't resize the partition and it will delete the linux partitions too if I delete the windows partition and make a smaller one. I tried to use Ranish Partition Manager, but it dosn't seem to regonize my drives correctly. Where can I get a free partition resizing/making program? All the ones that I saw cost between $15 and $60. Its not like I am going to use the program every week, so I see no use in buying a program that isn't going to be used that much.

Just Joined!
    During the instalation of Slackware the setup program asked if you wanted to provide a place to mount the windows partition to the Slackware file system and recomended a name like /fat-c. Now you can name it anything you want. anyway, that could be the mount point and if it is mounting when you boot up, the windows file folders should appear there. If you didn't install it that way, check under the /mnt directory and it should show the other drives and partitions. And you will have to mount it before you can access it.

Just Joined!
    What I am going to do is just install Kubuntu 5.10 and not touch the partition that is labelled /home. That is where the files are that I want to save. Only problem is that the laptop that I downloaded it to has a faulty cdburner/dvd drive (I think - could have been the disks I was using). Thanks for all the help, but I just couldn't transfer the files to the windows partition or change the partition to FAT. Maybe I'll do better with Kubuntu. Anyway, thanks again!
    -Erick

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by es017
    What I am going to do is just install Kubuntu 5.10 and not touch the partition that is labelled /home. That is where the files are that I want to save. Only problem is that the laptop that I downloaded it to has a faulty cdburner/dvd drive (I think - could have been the disks I was using). Thanks for all the help, but I just couldn't transfer the files to the windows partition or change the partition to FAT. Maybe I'll do better with Kubuntu. Anyway, thanks again!
    -Erick
    Umm.. You know, come to think of it, I have not been able to do anything but read from the windows partition with any of the distros I have tried. I don't think changing distros will help much on that. I have been able to read from the Windows partition with all of the Distros I have tried. It seems like a good idea to keep your home directory on a seperate partition. I did the same thing. Let us know if Kubuto goes well. mostly, if your files do well when you change distros.

Just Joined!
    Okay, I'll post again when I have finished. I'll have to stop and buy a spindle of disks one of these days to burn the image to. I can't remember if I was able to write to the windows hard drive from Ubuntu, but I know I was able to use my jump drive. Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast