Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
After my install of Slackware 10.1 it booted to the CLI. How do I move from the CLI to the GUI? On all other distros that I have used, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing from CLI to GUI...

After my install of Slackware 10.1 it booted to the CLI. How do I move from the CLI to the GUI? On all other distros that I have used, I have never used a CLI. I think I know how to change it so it will boot to the GUI automatically, but am not sure. Thanks for any help!
    -Erick

Just Joined!

Changing default login to GUI from CLI...

hi... wht u need to do is login as root... i.e. su... and then go to /etc and edit inittab... you will see a line tht says:

Code:
    # Default runlevel (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    id:3:initdefault:
    you need to change tht line to the following:

Code:
    # Default runlevel (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    id:4:initdefault:
    this will change the default runlevel to 4 so tht linux boots into GUI... save n reboot... take care... enjoy life... chillout...

Just Joined!
    I'm sorry, but how do I edit inittab? Again, I am new to the CLI and don'y know the commands.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Use the vi program. Do "man vi" to learn how it actually works since vi takes some getting used to.

Linux Enthusiast
    www.slackbook.org

read it !

Just Joined!
    O.K., I edited the inittab file, replacing the line with id:4:initdefault:. Now it asks which runlevel to use, instead of automatically doing 4. I typed in 4, and the gui booted. I logged in as root, and Gnome came up with this problem:

"There was an error starting the Gnome Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or backgroud settings may not work correctly.

The settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Child process did not give an error message, unknown failure occured. Gnome will try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you login."

Also my usb mouse done not work correctly, so I do not know how to change it so it will use KDE.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kern
    www.slackbook.org

read it !
    yes.

Just Joined!
    I have Slackware 10.1 up and running now. Thanks for the help! My only problems now are my usb mouse and my usb pen drive. I will read the slack book and see if there is any solution. Any help would be appreciated, though!

Linux Enthusiast
    Reconfigure your X config file, xorg.conf. You can use "xorgconfig", just type that on the CLI and follow the instructions. Make sure you read the slackbook (Click here) because it's going to ask you other questions that you'll need to know besides the mouse question. I don't see USB mouse on that list, but your best bet is still Auto. You'll also want to save your current xorg.conf as something else for back-up. Check it's current settings as well, might help you configure it.

As for the USB pen drive, have you tried mounting it as /dev/sda1? Linux reads USB drives as SCSI drives, so they use the sd* prefix.

Just Joined!
    For the mouse I have tried USB, Microsoft, and PS/2. None worked. Also, each time I ran the xorgconfig I messed something up and it could not bring up the X11 server. I'm not sure what I messed up. So I had to reinstall multiple times, which gave me the oportunity to try the other mouse options. Right now I have a old Logitech TrackMan Vista hooked in and it works fine, though the ball is hard to get used to. Still at a loss with my pen drive. Would be nice to have that work. Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast