Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All When I set this Slack 10.2 box up I found an entry on a post which showed how to make the machine power off automatically when shut down. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Power Down Question ?

Hi All

When I set this Slack 10.2 box up I found an entry on a post which showed how to make the machine power off automatically when shut down.

It was very simple, a small line added to a file. Unfortunately I didn't write it down and now can't remember for a second Slack box that I have just built.

Can anyone help me out please ?

Regards

Bubo
    My Computer Once Beat Me at Chess, but it is No Match for Me at Kickboxing !

Registered Linux User: #417183

Linux Newbie
    I've pretty much had this answered on the IRC, however I would still like to know the details if anyone knows them.

Cheers

Bubo
    My Computer Once Beat Me at Chess, but it is No Match for Me at Kickboxing !

Registered Linux User: #417183

Linux Enthusiast
    if you uncomment the line:

/sbin/modprobe apm

in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, you should find next reboot you'll have power management support, as long as its supported and your box isn't an SMP one.

34) When I shutdown my computer using halt or shutdown -h it does not turn off automatically. How do I change that?

Most newer machines can power off automatically when you shut them down. This is typically accomplished through APM (Advanced Power Management). By default Slackware does not load the apm kernel module, and this prevents the machine from shutting down through APM. To enable the apm kernel module you simply have to edit the file /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and make sure the /sbin/modprobe apm line is uncommented (by default the line is commented out by being prefixed with a '#' - remove the # and save the file). If you enable the apm module in this way then the next time you reboot your machine should be able to power down when you issue the halt or shutdown -h now or similar commands (or shut down through your GUI).
    edit: it works, i just tried it out on my computer

Linux Newbie

OK

OK....so i read this thread and i thought cool, I never knew i could this with slackware. However i did what the post by "kern" said to do and when it started up it said
    FATAL: module apm not found

OK so i looked around and lo and behold I didn't build apm into my custom 2.6.10 kernel
    Now.....how would i add modular support for this without going through a kernel recompile??
    I know i have the kernel .config files around........
    My New years Resolution is 1280x1024

Linux Enthusiast
    if you compiled kernel config support into your kernel you dont even need the config files laying around

download the 2.6.10 kernel source, extract it into /usr/src

zcat /proc/config.gz > .config

make menuconfig , adjust

make modules; make modules_install;

I hope apm is module only and not kernel specific, also

building your own kernel unless you know what you are doing breaks things

I use the default kernel package whenever possible, the only reason I dont on this box here is because I need SMP enabled and pat provides no default kernel with it on .

hope this helps

Linux Newbie
    I needded SATA support so that is why i built a kernel

Linux Enthusiast
    couldn't you just use the sata.i kernel from the installer menu?

I don't have SATA so correct me if I am mistaken

Linux Newbie
    I don't believe it had support for my SATA controller

Linux Newbie
    OK, i decided to forget about APM and do ACPI due to SLEEP,SUSPEND, CPU frewuency scaling and a whole mess of other features. I'll tell you how this works out and post any problems. CHEERS