Find the answer to your Linux question:
Recently i've installed slackware into a Toshiba 1800-514 laptop. I had a few issues, but nothing that wasn't covered already in these forums. Except for the wireless setup. I've seen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PCMCIA Wireless question (SOLVED)

Recently i've installed slackware into a Toshiba 1800-514 laptop. I had a few issues, but nothing that wasn't covered already in these forums. Except for the wireless setup. I've seen many topics around this issues, but i just couldn't get anything to work. My wireless card (a D-Link DWL-G650) is plugged into a PCMCIA slot. The card is flashing, so i'm guessing linux already detected it.
    I was going to try "ndiswrapper", but i've read here that slackware 10.2 has etended support for wireless connections, so i putted it on hold for a bit.

I also came across a toll named iwconfig, but the manual for it wasn't clear enough, or i'm missing something.
    So, for short, how can i have my DWL-G650 Wireless PCMCIA card connect to my router, and therefore, have internet on my laptop?

Just Joined!
    Nevermind, figured it out. Thx anyways

You could write the solution, in case anyone else has the same kind of problem. Also add 'solved' to the subject of the topic
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    there's really nothing that the manual didn't cover... i just had to STFW a wee bit harder, but this was the line of thought:

PCMCIA support is really easy to enable. just
    Code:
    $make menuconfig
    in your kernel source folder, re-configure it with PCMCIA enabled, recompile, and voila. The link-light in your PCMCIA card should be flashing already.

D-Link DWL-G650 (and many other wireless cards) are based on the Atheros chipset. Lucky for us, there's linux drivers for these: http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/

no need for ndiswrapper, since installing MadWifi (and getting it to work) is much more simpler.
    Even more luckier, MadWifi has ->really<- good documentation: http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/dokuwiki/doku.php
    including documentation specific for slackware: http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/dokuw...p?id=slackware

so it was just a matter of STFW better.
    U can't get better guides than that IMO.

edit: btw! don't be a stupid arse like me wondering why the hell can u ping your router but u can't access the internet.
    be sure to add your AP DNS server to the "/etc/resolv.conf" using:
    Code:
    nameserver <ip>
    Cheers