Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

alsamixer wont save settings

alsamixer has to be re ran everytime I reboot. I run alsactl store and have /usr/sbin/alsactl restore added to my rc.local file, but my settings go back to being default (muted) upon boot. I suspect I have to re-run alsamixer because I have an entry in my rc.local file to re-run ./snddevices at boot as well, which is probably reconfiguring my card. This the only way I have been able to get sound to work (the ./snddevices thing), and trust me. I have been all over lots of forums, and I have tried everything. It's been the only way that works for me. I am running Slackware 10.1 with kernel 2.6.13.2

Banned
    run alsaconf as root (should do everything for you)

Running alsaconf does not help aid me in the saving of my alsamixer settings, even if ran as root. Thank you for your reply however.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Code:
    alsactl store
    should keep them settings.

BrunoM

The first line of my post states that I tried that.

Just Joined!
    Comment out the line for ./snddevices in rc.local.
    Re-run alsaconf, alsamixer, and alsctl store as root in that order. Reboot - you should be ok.

That wont work, the whole reason I have that in their is because alsamixer wont run until I run ./snddevices. That is what makes my card work. Alsaconf will still find my card but the card wont function until I run snddevices.

Just Joined!
    I just noticed that you are using kernel 2.6.13 - you may need to get a newer version of alsa for this kernel. I am using 2.6.12 with no problems with 10.2.

I do not have that line in rc.local. I am using an old sounblaster pci 128. Works great.

Banned
    see: http://alsa.opensrc.org/faq/#FAQ021
    There's several ways to fix this. The easiest is to write a script with one line:

alsactl restore

, save it as 'alsasoundrestoremixer' in /etc/init.d/, make it executable:

% chmod a+x /etc/init.d/alsasoundrestoremixer

, and create a symlink to run this straight after alsasound:

% ln -s /etc/init.d/alsasoundrestoremixer /etc/rcS.d/S59alsasoundrestoremixer

This forces the loading of the mixer settings every time the system is booted.
    PS: You might need to include whatever else you need to do to get it working...