Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just bought an old Compaq Proliant 1500 Server, and I've recently taken an interest in Slackware, so I though I would put Slack on the server and take advantage ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slack on Compaq Proliant 1500

I just bought an old Compaq Proliant 1500 Server, and I've recently taken an interest in Slackware, so I though I would put Slack on the server and take advantage of the RAID array, so I don't have to worry about my data. I'm having a hell of a time though! It took me a while to figure out that I needed to boot off a floppy and upgrade the BIOS before it would boot off a cd. Now I'm booting off the Slackware 10.1 installation disk and trying to get something going. I have no experience with RAID arrays and this is proving difficult. I can't figure out what device the array is represented by in my /dev, so I can set up partitions. I read that using mkraid or mdadm is recommended, but obviously both of these would require me to know which /dev node I need. Furthermore, the array is an actual RAID array off of Compaq's controller, NOT a software RAID built from multiple independent drives...I have a feeling this could either make things easier or present a major problem. I'm not really comfortable with compiling a kernel and using to install on the machine, since I don't have any other hard drive on the server to run the kernel from, I would have to figure out how to make my own boot CD with my own kernel, which is just out of my league at this point. If anyone can offer any ideas on this I would really appreciate it. I just have this RAID array sitting there teasing me and I can't use it!

HW is Compaq Proliant 1500, Pentium 75MHz, 132MB RAM, RAID array of Fast SCSI-2 4.3GB Disks in EISA slot 6. 2x CD-Rom Running on SCSI Channel 5. BIOS E12 8/xx/98. 1 Floppy Drive, 1 DAT Drive also SCSI. No IDE Controller, No USB. Got a 3Com EtherLinkIII which I installed and the BIOS seems to be OK with.

Code:
    /dev:
    amiraid
    arp
    ataraid
    atibm
    audio
    audio1
    aztcd
    bpcd
    cciss
    cdu535
    cm206cd
    console
    cua0
    cua1
    cua2
    cua3
    cua4
    eda
    eda1
    eda2
    eda3
    eda4
    eda5
    eda6
    eda7
    eda8
    eda9
    fd0
    fd0h1200
    fd0h1440
    fd0u1440
    fd0u1680
    fd0u1722
    fd1
    fd1h1200
    fd1h1440
    fd1u1440
    full
    gscd0
    hda
    hdb
    hdc
    hdd
    hde
    hdf
    hdg
    hdh
    hdi
    hdj
    hdk
    hdl
    hdm
    hdn
    hdo
    hdp
    hdq
    hdr
    hds
    hdt
    icmp
    ida
    inet
    inportbm
    input
    ip
    kmem
    lmscd
    log
    logibm
    loop0
    loop1
    loop3
    loop4
    lp0
    makedevs.sh
    mcd
    mcdx0
    mcdx1
    md0
    md1
    md2
    md3
    mem
    nrft0
    nst0
    nst1
    null
    optcd0
    par0
    par1
    par2
    parport0
    parport1
    parport2
    parport3
    pcd0
    pcd1
    pcd2
    pcd3
    pda
    pda1
    pda2
    pda3
    pda4
    pda5
    pda6
    pf0
    pf1
    pf2
    pf3
    port
    psaux
    ptyp0
    ptyp1
    ptyp2
    ptyp3
    ptyp4
    ptyp5
    ptyp6
    ptyp7
    ptyp8
    ram0
    ram1
    random
    rd
    rft0
    rmt16
    rmt8
    sbpcd
    sbpcd0
    sbpcd1
    scd0
    scd1
    scd2
    scd3
    scd4
    sga
    sgb
    sgc
    sgd
    sge
    sgf
    sgg
    sgh
    sjcd
    socket
    socksys
    sonycd
    spx
    sr0
    sr1
    sr2
    sr3
    sr4
    st0
    st1
    tape-d
    tape-reset
    tcp
    tty
    tty0
    tty1
    tty2
    tty3
    tty4
    tty5
    tty6
    tty7
    tty8
    tty9
    ttyS0
    ttyS1
    ttyS2
    ttyS3
    ttyS4
    ttyp0
    ttyp1
    ttyp2
    ttyp3
    ttyp4
    ttyp5
    ttyp6
    ttyp7
    ttyp8
    udp
    unix
    urandom
    zero
    ...odd there's no /dev/sda.../dev/md0 won't mount, doesn't exist etc...

when I look in /dev/ida, it's blank:
    Code:
    /dev# ls i*
    icmp
    inportbm
    ip

ida:

inet:
    egp
    ggp
    icmp
    idp
    ip
    ipip
    pup
    rawip
    tcp
    udp

input:
    event0
    js0
    keyboard
    mice
    mouse
    mouse0
    But in /proc/mdstat, I do have *something*:
    Code:
    Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5] 
    read_ahead not set
    unused devices&#58; <none>
    I'm at a loss. Sorry for the excessive dumps...but I hope somebody might see something I'm missing in here...I'm pretty new to linux...so basically I have no idea what I'm doing here. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Linux Engineer
    You don't probably have scsi support.. the installation asks you what type of kernel you want to install (default is bare.i, I think).

If you know how to compile a kernel yourself then go ahead, but don't forget to add SCSI support.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Just Joined!

Compiling a new kernel...

Yeah, I was afraid I might have to compile one...I can do it, I'm just not real comfortable with it yet....also, the original installation iso include stuff other than just the bare.i? Are you talking about booting from floppy and then installing from the CD? I'm gonna try that, although I booted off of raid.s before and I still couldn't find the array, any suggestions for an image that might recognize it? Thanks!

Linux Engineer
    http://www.slackware.org/install/bootdisk.php

Look at the scsi bootdisks.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Just Joined!

Ooops!

Yeah, I know about the SCSI boot disks....I tried booting one before and according to everything on the net, there should be stuff under /dev/ida representing my array....I found the option to select the kernel on the install CD, I'm stupid for not having seen it there before! Anyway, I booted the raid.s like before (Supports Compaq Smart Raid Array) and still, nothing in the /dev/ida....I found a Rom flash for the controller on Compaq(HP)'s website that claims it will make the controller useable in linux....I'm going to try that...thanks for prodding my lazy butt into looking a little harder!

Just Joined!

Solution...

If anyone is interested...I hope someone cares because this has been quite the project.... the raid.s did not recognize the array... what I ended up doing is gettin pissed....I installed an old Adaptec SCSI Controller in the Proliant 1500 instead of the Proprietary Compaq Array Card...I will be using software RAID rather than on the controller, but no big deal, as long as it works!

I've got all the partitions configured and my software RAID up and running a RAID5 data storage array as well as a RAID0 Swap, what do you know adaptec.s recognized the card right away! Problem is...it still didn't see the CD-Rom which was plugged into the SCSI controller on the motherboard...

Rather than go out and buy a new CD-Rom to plug into the remaining ports on the Adaptec controller, I set up an NFS server on an old Win98 box...and am copying the files from the IDE CD on that machine over the network into the data storage md0. Getting the NIC working was also an adventure...but hey hopefully this will work now....

I'm gonna install off the local drives and then wipe out the installation files once its up and running...whew!

Thanks for the advice; turns out the proprietary hardware is just junk!