Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, i have a problem with # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256, when i installed a slackware everything was fine, but one time wile booting system i pressed the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256

Hi everybody, i have a problem with # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256, when i installed a slackware everything was fine, but one time wile booting system i pressed the auto button on my monitor, and from then while booting the screen is divided into two sections, in fact there is only half of the pinguin int top of the screen and its head is at bottom, there is no such problem when using vga = normal, in other cases i get the same situation, any ideas?

p.s excuse my english

Just Joined!
    I had some wierd stuff happening with my video and I just stopped useing Frame Buffering and it went away. I thought my old laptop would benifit from it, as the install routin recomended it. But My Bio confirmed that I have 4 meg of shared memory dedicated to video and this is enough( I think) for 1024x768 with 24bit color. I don't know if this will help you, I had a machine do that exact thing with windows 3.1. And it was because of a lack of video memory. Check into the Bio and see if anything has changed. If you have at least 4 meg of video memory, check to see if it will run without frame buffering. My old laptop has a PII with 128 meg of ram. It ran great with no frame buffering and 4 meg shared video mem.

Just Joined!
    I don't think it is because of lack of memory, i suspect that it somehow set frong hsync or vsync refresh rates, because while booting it shows quite strange values, and it works fine when i use 800x600 64k. Have anyone knows where these values(i am talking about hsync and vsync refresh rates) are stored?

Just Joined!
    If you figure it out, let us know. It sounds like the kind of trouble we used to have with windows, years back. Be carefull. This is how we use to smoke test monitors. It's was one of the few ways you could actually damage the hardware. The only place I have fooled with those settings in Slackware was during the install.