Find the answer to your Linux question:
Am building a new server to be used in teaching Unix. The distro is slack 10.0. The machine is up and running fine. The desire is to illustrate a secure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

unsecure ftp on a secure server

Am building a new server to be used in teaching Unix. The distro is slack 10.0. The machine is up and running fine. The desire is to illustrate a secure environment for web transactions. SSL is loaded and running with Apache. Students must use a secure shell application to access their accounts on the server and that is working fine.
    Now for the hard part. The instructor has placed a link on his index page that allows anyone to connect to files he shares with the world related to his courses. The link is an ftp link within the html on the page.

Clicking on this link results in a "connection refused" response from the server as it should.

The question is: How do I allow/implement an unsecure ftp from a webpage link into the secure server? Am I missing something terribly obvious. I have looked around using google and have been unable to find anything that specifically relates to this situation.

Let me know what information you would like from the configuration to aid your thought processes.

TYIA

Linux Newbie
    wouldn't setting the FTP server to anon connections only, and telling people to use anonymous logins to the FTP server fix that problem?
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Just Joined!
    Because SSL/SSH is implemented there is no ftp server running. ftp is handled by the SSH function. I have been considering the possibility that we will have to start and run the ftp server as an additional process to accomodate the desire to make the files available from the web page with out requiring a login. Because of the difficulty in securing an additional IP address from the college I have chosen not to put up another machine (clearly the simplest solution to this problem) to handle the ftp stuff.
    And again the SSL/SSH is implemented to be able to illustrate secure transactions on a website.
    The site (old server) is 168.156.125.36 if one wants to check out how it works currently. The new server is not yet connected "in the wild."

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    It sounds to me like you would have to run an FTP server process at the standard FTP port (21 I think) for those anonymous links, unless you can get the professor to change his links to http/https and move the files to appropriate dirs.

I have a similar situation in that I want to allow only secure transactions from outside my firewall, so I open the SSH port (22 I think), but block inbound FTP at the firewall. Inside the firewall I allow normal FTP connections or SSH. So any ftp links inside the firewall should be served correctly.