Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm running slackware, and using kde, and it's really slow, i've got 128mb of ram, a celeron processor (it doesn't give me a version or anything just "Inter Celeron") ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I think i need more swap space

I'm running slackware, and using kde, and it's really slow, i've got 128mb of ram, a celeron processor (it doesn't give me a version or anything just "Inter Celeron") and it's running really slow, my swap size right now is around 300mb, and i'm wondering, is this not enougth? Will increasing it make things run any faster? Also, i've got slackware on a 40gb harddrive, and i'm duelbooting with win98se

Linux Engineer
    I don't think you want to run KDE with and 128 MB RAM only and a Celeron. That is a really crippled proc (nofi). You could try xfce?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Borromini is right. I have an intel celeron 766 with 128 MB of ram. I can run kde but it is slow, even with eye candy turned way down. If I were you I would look into xfce as Borromini suggested or even fluxbox, icewm, or one of the other lighter weight desktops. I use xfce and everything is just great

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I agree that 128MB and a Celeron is going to make running KDE pretty hard. However, having more swap won't necessarily improve performance, since what you're doing is essentially assigning part of your harddrive to act like RAM. Harddrives don't fill and flush memory nearly as fast as RAM sticks do, so the more seeking/writing/flushing your harddrive has to do just to run a program the less responsive your overall system will be. I would recommend either getting some more RAM or trying a lighter window manager, as borromini suggested.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    Blackbox is the lightest environment I can think of...

Linux Enthusiast
    What everyone said! I run XFce and the most I've ever used of RAM is 150MB. I have 256MB though, so I don't have to worry about slow downs. With the right programs running I bet you could that number lowered quite a bit.

Linux Engineer
    When I boot, with all the services I use & need enabled, it says 60 MB .

But i like KDE =(, it's much prettyfuller and easier to use, but that was one of the reasons i switched from windows. So which one of the others that comes with slackware is easier and better on my ram?

Linux Engineer
    Any of the lighter ones. KDE and Gnome are both big RAM eaters . You'll be able to run them on your Celeron though, just provide enough memory. But you won't get good performance. Maybe you could check out simpleKDE, it could be a bit lighter.

i was about to recommend simpleKDE as well. i don't know if it's finished yet, but i know it's going to be included in Turkix.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast