Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there anything like that out there? I don't know why, but I'm hooked on Slackware (even though I can't get wireless going). I've convinced a friend of mine to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Slackware for PPC?

Is there anything like that out there? I don't know why, but I'm hooked on Slackware (even though I can't get wireless going). I've convinced a friend of mine to give me his old iMac (the CRT ones) which has a G3 PPC, but I'm not sure about other specs. I remember seeing something like that before, but can't remember the name of the distribution. I'd just like something just like Slackware (the same type of installation and config) but for PPC. I think it would be pretty cool getting XFce looking just like the new OS X (his iMac has OS 9 on it).

Linux Enthusiast
    check out Slackintosh

Linux Engineer
    be careful though, remember it is an unfinished project, there are several other supported ppc distros that may provide better service.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    ....there are several other supported ppc distros that may provide better service.
    I've been checking some out (well, mostly just reading about them) and can't seem find anything that would fit like Slackware. Slackintosh is a nice effort, but like you said isn't finished. This is a pretty old iMac, I'm pretty sure the G3 in there is a 300Mhz and doubt it has more than 128MB of RAM. So I need some light and fast. The best one is probably Gentoo, but I still don't feel quite comfortable doing it, specially since I don't want to have to read a 100 page handbook just to get it installed and 30min to install each package. Yellow Dog is too heavy. I'm think if not Slack, Debian is my best bet. I might give Gentoo a try just for the heck of it.

Linux Engineer
    OpenBSD is lighter than Gentoo and has a ppc version; however, forget about the enormous compile times...you can get a fast gui, blackbox has no prereqs, and a small browser, dillo, and be fully functional while the rest of what you want compiles. Compiling from source, portage on gentoo or ports on openbsd, will be your best friend with an older comp, it will take awhile but it will run faster and smoother because of it. Of these two, I think you'll see your best ppc options, I tried yellow dog and it was extremely slow, as were some others.

Linux Enthusiast
    Tell you the truth, I don't even need GUI while compiling. I can survive just fine with Links. I'm giving the Gentoo Handbook a quick read right now just to establish what I can expect and if it woudl be a good idea.

I'm not sure about OpenBSD just because I've never tried anything BSD.

Linux Engineer
    the gentoo handbook isn't really that hard...you can just read through it and write down the commands you will have to do in a notebook, you'll only have about a page and a half after this...which will make for a great reference in the future.