Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I've been thinking of trying out the latest Slackware. I just haven't done it yet. Mainly from laziness. Also from not being totally sure that it will actually operate fast ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Slackware On A Dinosaur Of A Computer

I've been thinking of trying out the latest Slackware. I just haven't done it yet. Mainly from laziness. Also from not being totally sure that it will actually operate fast on my system (see signature for specs). I'm on dialup so it's a project for me every time I download a distro.
    So any Slackware fanatics who have run Slackware on an older machine (similar to mine) with one of the heavier desktop environments (such as GNOME) and had good experiances feel free to tell me about them.
    I'd also like some comments over hardware compatibility (assuming that Slackware doesn't offer much in terms of autodetection).
    Debian Sarge is fast but for some reason I just cannot get my sound card to work. It's the same for my printer. Since both of these devices functioned just fine in Damn Small Linux, Debian, who is a more major player, was disappointing.

Linux Enthusiast
    thats not a dinosaur - slack'll run fine on it

Linux Enthusiast
    Yeah, but my processor is. That's my only hindrance.

Just Joined!
    Slackware runs on a old laptop with 32MB of ram of course i don't use kde though I use openbox it slow as hell mainly because of the ram.

I run Slackware using KDE on a Intel Celeron, with 366mghz, and only 128mb on ram, you should do fine

Linux Enthusiast
    It runs, but does it run nice? The really annoying thing for me is waiting for the windows to load, and KDE/GNOME takes up so many resources that they just sort of load a few parts of the window at a time...

Just Joined!
    My old laptop had 128 megs of Ram on a PII 400Mhz. Only 6Gig HD. Slackware with KDE XWindow manager ran quickly. much quicker than the Windoze it replaced. Make sure to set a decent amount of swapspace the partition I set was like 1044 or something, Cant remember exactly. I copied it from a previous Debian Install. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Anyway, Slackware 10.2 ran good with it and all those live CD's I play with always found the swap space partition and used it too. DSL ran like greased lightening on it. I miss that old pos. I think I'll order the parts and fix it tomorow.

Linux Enthusiast
    If it really runs that nicely it'll probably do fine on mine then

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    It runs, but does it run nice? The really annoying thing for me is waiting for the windows to load, and KDE/GNOME takes up so many resources that they just sort of load a few parts of the window at a time...
    uh... it's slower than windows i can say that but i still like it, although it takes about 10 seconds for konqueror to open =(

Linux Enthusiast
    use XFCE or fluxbox and your desktop experience will be very nice.

your processor is fine too

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast