Find the answer to your Linux question:
i erased suse 9.3 which was on a logical partition with partition magic,including swap and i wanted to install slack 10.1when i reached the point where i was supposed to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    ???
    Just Joined!

slack after suse

i erased suse 9.3 which was on a logical partition with partition magic,including swap and i wanted to install slack 10.1when i reached the point where i was supposed to run fdisk i had a problem cause it was asking me to choose a partition(with suse i had to choose between all the disk and the freee space)Even if i chose the necessary partition i was receiving an error message "unable to open".Any piece of advice would be appreciated.
    P.S. :after i erased suse i had also a problem when starting the computer:error 22 at grub.how can i erase grub when i erase linux?thx.

to remove grub reinsert your windows cd and do a repair. then just type FIXMBR or even easier if you have a win98 boot disk just boot to the dos prompt and type fdisk /mbr and grub is gone. i've never had those partition errors. i'll look into it though.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

???
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by truoc444
    to remove grub reinsert your windows cd and do a repair. then just type FIXMBR or even easier if you have a win98 boot disk just boot to the dos prompt and type fdisk /mbr and grub is gone. i've never had those partition errors. i'll look into it though.
    for more information when i was typing fdisk -l returned something like this
    partition cilinders
    /dev/hdb1 0-333
    /dev/hdb2 334-4011
    /dev/hdb5 334-2048

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    you have to actually boot from the disc. the win98 boot disk gives you an option to boot to a dos prompt. from there you type the fdisk /mbr let me know if you can't find one. i have an .iso of an fdisk program that does it very well. it's only about a 2 mb .iso so i can e-mail it to you.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Linux Newbie
    And to install Slackware, do a cfdisk during installation. Clean all the Linux parts. Make a swap around 400 MB, and leave the rest as /. Format those properly. For swap use 82, and for / use 83. Then go ahead with swap. Show the parts and install it.
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

if you have problems mounting the partitions after using cfdisk, you are not alone.

i have to use my systemrescuecd to fix the partitions as they are not ever setup correctly.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--