Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just installed Slackware 10.2 (again, but this time different computer) and I can't get my mouse to work properly. This is a Memorex wireless RF mouse. This unit plugs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Mouse works, but buttons don't!

I just installed Slackware 10.2 (again, but this time different computer) and I can't get my mouse to work properly. This is a Memorex wireless RF mouse. This unit plugs into the computer using the USB port and since it's a keyboard and mouse package, they both use the same port (1 port for both keyboard and mouse). The mouse itself works just fine, but I can't click anything, and I'm pretty much dead in the water when trying to do anything GUI.

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    Do alt+f2

and type xterm to run a terminal. Su to root, and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Open up another terminal, and start links to surf and find out about the configuration options you have with Xorg. You won't need any mouse to do all of that.

good luck.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Enthusiast
    Anyone else? And I really don't need anyone telling me to search for the solution. The reason I started a post about the question already means I search, and either couldn't find what I was looking for, or nothing I found helped.

Again, this is a RF mouse, and I just looked under it, so more specifically RF7000. I also forgot to mention on the first post that it's a 5 button mouse (4 regular buttons and 1 scroll). I've tried specifying what it is in xorg.conf by setting the "Buttons" option to "5" and then agian to "7" which only made it worst (instead of being able to move around, I was only able to move up and down).

Banned
    see: http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/...wheel_mouse.3F

PS:"(4 regular buttons and 1 scroll)" >is a 7 button mouse.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bidi
    Anyone else? And I really don't need anyone telling me to search for the solution. The reason I started a post about the question already means I search, and either couldn't find what I was looking for, or nothing I found helped.
    and down).
    Sorry for trying to help... You can be a lot more flexible using the CLI.

Linux Enthusiast
    I have now officially given up!

I've tried every single possible combination for xorg.conf and still no button. If I don't specify how many buttons there are (comment that line) or specify 5 buttons it only moves around but no button. If I specify 7 buttons, it only moves up and down, and the funny thing is that it's not an up and down mouse movement that will do that, it's a left to right movement. With the 7 buttons specified, I tried editing the .Xmodmap file a few different ways, and got the same results every time.

It seems like Memorex sucks for using under GNU/Linux. While researching it, I found that a lot of people asked similar questions to me with no answer, or they pointed to making Microsoft's 5 button mouse. The Microsoft mouse actually works, at least according to all that I read. Who would of guessed Microsoft make GNU/Linux compliant hardware and Memorex doesn't.

Did you specify the "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" option? I know I need this for my mouse wheel to work correctly.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm not having issues with the mouse wheel, I'd actually be happy if it was only that mouse wheel that didn't work. My problem is with every single mouse button, none of them work.

Linux Engineer
    Can you run xev from CLI, and click in the black square that is displayed in the program's action screen? Use every button on your mouse and see if it generates a response in the CLI, then you'll know if Linux gets a signal at all. I have a Q-tec (garbage) wireless mouse, and when I click the scroll wheel, it gives no response at all (xev doesn't detect anything either). I don't know if there's any way around for that, I fiddled with lots of xorg settings also, read every possible topic on mouse configs here and on linuxforums.org...

Quote Originally Posted by bidi
    I'm not having issues with the mouse wheel, I'd actually be happy if it was only that mouse wheel that didn't work. My problem is with every single mouse button, none of them work.
    Actually, I mentioned this because when you said you tried the 7 buttons, you could only move it up/down. It could be that it mapped the various buttons incorrectly, and maybe setting the mouse wheel accordingly might enable you to get the rest of the mouse working...
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast