Find the answer to your Linux question:
I used to have a cd player as hdc and it worked fine that was how i installed slackware with it, but yesterday i replaced that with a dvd-rom but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dvd-ROM player doesn't work

I used to have a cd player as hdc and it worked fine that was how i installed slackware with it, but yesterday i replaced that with a dvd-rom but it doesn't play i try mounting it as /dev/cdrom and /dev/hdc but it won't do anythign just freezes. I also tried ejecting it (as root) and it still just freezes everything and i have to restart >:{, can anyone help?

*bump*

Linux Engineer
    you don't have to mount the dvd drive to play dvds, just install your favorite player, I use xine, and you have to install a third party library called libdvdcss...distros do not ship with dvd support as it is proprietary, so you have to manually add it, once done it will play without a hitch...dvds play like audio cd's, no mounting...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Ok...so how do i install libdvdcss?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Game master pro
    Ok...so how do i install libdvdcss?
    Search for and download the libdvdcss package (preferrably a "slackware ready" package).

Use Slackware's default package tool to install it by going to a console as root and running:

Code:
    pkgtool
    This will give you the option to install the package from the directory you are in, or from another directory.