Find the answer to your Linux question:
Help me i've stuffed up i had a perfectly fine machine, duel booting with slackware and win98se. But today windows decided to cark it. I backed up everything i had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Won't load, stuffed computer

Help me i've stuffed up

i had a perfectly fine machine, duel booting with slackware and win98se. But today windows decided to cark it. I backed up everything i had through linux (by copying it from one hd to another). Anyway, my parents wanted windows back so after i backed everthing up i put in the win98se cd in my computer and turned it on, usually when i turn it on it goes "Verifying DMI pool data..." then loads lilo but this time it went "Verifying DMI pool data.........Sucess" and i'm like "O_o" so i decide "stuff this" and decide to turn it off and go back to windows, but no, my BIOS has changed i have no idea whatsoever what caused this but it's annoying me usually when i turn on the computer it has a real big Packard Bell sign and f2 to enter setup. TAB to show post screen. but it's gone =(, it's all different my bios itself is the same but the loading screen is different. I turn it on and it verifys the dmi pool data then

SYSTEM ERROR. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

and i don't know what to do? what syytem disk, my slackware one or my windows one?

but i solve this problem. In the BIOS everthing is set to None so i set it to normall. And now it just goes

L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99....

you know?

I want my normal looking computer back and my linux, if i get through this i'm gonna format windows and have it as extra space. Or maybe install another distro....Help...please..

Linux Newbie
    Although I'm not very experienced it sounds as if your hard drive has failed in some way. If it were me I'd try installing an OS but you're not me so it's up to you.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by TomX
    If it were me I'd try installing an OS but you're not me so it's up to you.
    he already has an OS, he's just having problems w/ the bootloader finding it to run.

this problem CAN be caused by a hardware failure, but it's not always gonna manifest it self like that.

I believe the more easily fixed problem has occurred. If you installed 98se (gasp) over linux, the boot sector was probably violated by the 98se install...

have you rerun "lilo" or "liloconf"? They will reinstall LILO to the drive and make the second stage loader look in the right spot...which apparently it is not, hence the L 99 99 99 99 ...

I would try to boot into your linux partition, either by rescue disk...or by the install CD, and following the "in a real pinch" instructions on the slack install boot screen...if you manage to get the install CD to read, mount your root partition, and then rerun LILO to rewrite the bootloader.
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Ok, thanks guys, i don't know what i did, but i got lilo working, in BIOS i went "load setup defaults" and it made it work somehow =D. But still my boot screen thing is all wrong, it seems my bios has gone to a older version, from 1998 to 1996 i think. Anyone know how to fix this?

Linux Newbie
    Without the Packard Bell splash screen during bootup, you're able to see information about your bios and POSTS checks, this is usually prefered. if you really want your splash screen back, then:

1.) there is bound to be an option in your bios that lets you re-enable it.

2.) if not, Just reload the default settings in bios.

3.) if that fails, remove the BIOS battery from the motherboard for a few seconds, and put it back in. this will erase all bios data and reset it to factory default.

4.) if you still don't see the splash screen, if you've got windows booting, Google for a program that will edit your bios from within Windows or whatnot. make sure the program is for the correct bios manufacturer. I don't recommend doingthis unless you're very bios-savy. these programs unlock a lot of options usually locked by manufacturers.

Now, if you're still getting that "INSERT SYSTEM DISK ERROR", chances are either that windows is hosed (usually you get an "OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND" error), or, the more likely culprit, you've got your boot-sequence devices in the wrong order. note that there are two boot sequences in bios usually:

1: The first allows you to boot up hard drives, floppy drives, CD drives, and/or network boot. make sure that those are in the correct order (usually CD-Rom, Hard Drives, Floppy, as booting from floppies is rare).

2: The other lets you choose which hard drives should boot first. Make sure that in bios settings, your boot order has your CD drive listed first, and then Master (primary) Hard Drive, and then Slave (secondary), and that bootable add-in cards are AFTER everythign else (this is probably what went wrong).

Hope this helps, if you haven't already got it figured out.

That did help thanks, i restored the biso factory setting. Changed it not to boot from floppy (for some reason the boot sequence was Floppy only ) it re-enabled the splash screen when i restored the factory settings. and another thing that's always annoyed me is. When my comp freezes i have to press the power button to turn it off. So i changed it in the bios so it automatically turns off. Linux takes way too long to turn off in my opinion. So i just shut down X and press power when wanting to turn it off. Now when ever i turn it on it does a force check. Finds tons of errors. Says it can't fix them. So it wants root pass i give it to it and it goes root@(none)# and i type "fsck" and it does the check again. Finds the erros, but now decides to fix them. Then i have to reboot. This is really annoying and i'm wondering if i'm stuffing up my hd?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Game master pro
    That did help thanks, i restored the biso factory setting. Changed it not to boot from floppy (for some reason the boot sequence was Floppy only ) it re-enabled the splash screen when i restored the factory settings. and another thing that's always annoyed me is. When my comp freezes i have to press the power button to turn it off. So i changed it in the bios so it automatically turns off. Linux takes way too long to turn off in my opinion. So i just shut down X and press power when wanting to turn it off. Now when ever i turn it on it does a force check. Finds tons of errors. Says it can't fix them. So it wants root pass i give it to it and it goes root@(none)# and i type "fsck" and it does the check again. Finds the erros, but now decides to fix them. Then i have to reboot. This is really annoying and i'm wondering if i'm stuffing up my hd?
    Ahhh, the impatience of....but I digress: yes, you are stuffing up your hard drive!

I would suggest to shut the box down using halt from the CLI or the graphical equivalent. It all depends on your tolerance level--either too long to turn off or too long to boot up!

Have fun!

Fred

ok, i'lll just do it normally. I have to su to root though and that is annoying, because i edited /etc/sudoers wrong and now i have to be root to do most things, like, mount anything, move files, view a cd contents i need to use root filemanager for that, and also, how do you install libdvdcss, i tried just using pkgtool and installing it, it asks me if i want to i press enter, then it waits a couple of seconds and goes back to the root@blah# thing, then when i try to open dvd, it asks what i want to poen it with, i select xine and it waits then says "/mnt/cdrom is a folder, expected a file"?