Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all, I'm fairly new (about 2 weeks) to slackware and i'v been doing fine so far. I have come to a problem when adding new applications to my system. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Building from source in slackware

Hello all,

I'm fairly new (about 2 weeks) to slackware and i'v been doing fine so far. I have come to a problem when adding new applications to my system.

I want Gnumeric and inkscape on there, both use gtk, whcih i installed with the system. I looked in the slackware package repository to get the gnumeric .tgz file whcih i ran with pkgtool.

When i start gnumeric it tells me it can't find a library. So i looked on the Gnumeric web site and downloaded all of the libs required for it in .tar.gz format. Which turn out to be source code!

This is beyond my scope of knowlege at the moment. Can anyone give me advice, or point me toward some advice on how to build from source. Or am i going in the wrong direction? Is there an easier way to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, pete.

Linux Enthusiast
    To compile from source you run:

./configure
    make
    su
    make install

there you go,

Just Joined!
    It's that easy?!

Amazing, thanks a lot for your help.

Pete

Linux Engineer
    It gets even better: if you want to produce a package yourself without too much work, do this:
    1. download the program's source
    2. Find a slackbuild for the program (available on slacky.it together with the source, and separate from linuxpackages.net) and place that in the same dir as the source
    3. cd to the directory, run the slackbuild just by typing ./slackbuildscript's name as root - et voilà - in a matter of seconds you got your own compiled package .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!

Re: Building from source in slackware

Quote Originally Posted by kippertoffee
    Can anyone give me advice, or point me toward some advice on how to build from source. Or am i going in the wrong direction? Is there an easier way to do this?
    Thanks, pete.
    My favorite way to do this is to make sure I have checkinstall on my system. After that, do this with your source code, in the directory in which the source code exists:

./configure
    make
    checkinstall

This way you can easily uninstall later with removepkg. You can even delete the entire source diretory after doing this. Checkinstall makes a package for you, which you can later reinstall. Just copy it to a safe place for future use before deleting the source diretory.

Linux Engineer
    Checkinstall doesn't do everything right (zero length slack-desc files and stuff like that). Don't get to excited about it. I encountered some weird errors with it.

Linux Newbie
    I never encounter with an error with checkinstall. I use it since i started using Slackware. Which verison are you using?
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I've insalled most packages from source, and have read about "checkinstall" but not tried it yet. One of my next projects.

Is it possible to go back and 'train' it to understand packages that I've already added?

There aren't many, maybe 5 or 6. Establishing a data point from here going forward will still be worhthwhile it seems.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by heartsmagic
    I never encounter with an error with checkinstall. I use it since i started using Slackware. Which verison are you using?
    AFAIK the latest. It is indeed a very convenient utility, but it's not recommended (for example on Linuxpackages.net they discourage it) because it has some drawbacks, like creating empty files and stuff.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by desertViking
    Hi,

I've insalled most packages from source, and have read about "checkinstall" but not tried it yet. One of my next projects.

Is it possible to go back and 'train' it to understand packages that I've already added?

There aren't many, maybe 5 or 6. Establishing a data point from here going forward will still be worhthwhile it seems.
    If you want to remove packages installed like that it will be very difficult. Best is you create a special installation directory (for example in ~) and install all your compiled programs there. To do that, replace the last step (make install) by # make install DESTDIR=/home/yourusername/installationdir

That will install the program there, then go into that dir, look at the install tree, if necessary do some changes, then assign the right permissions and make a package of it like this:
    # makepkg packagename-version-architecture-version +your initials.tgz

It would be then: easytag-1.99.5-i486-1sts.tgz (my initials are sts).

For info on assigning permissions, check out www.linuxpackages.net, the 'perfect package', and other tutorials on that site.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast