Find the answer to your Linux question:
This question is a little more complicated than my last... I'd like to sync my cellphone data (ring tones that I've downloaded, java games (jar files)) etc on my laptop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Cell Data Sync w/ Slack 10.2

This question is a little more complicated than my last...

I'd like to sync my cellphone data (ring tones that I've downloaded, java games (jar files)) etc on my laptop (Slack 10.2) and I'm not sure how to do that. I've googled, but I've come up with nothing, I am currently typing this message on the laptop I'm talking about using my Sprint PCS service for internet.

any software suggestions? or can I just mount the phone as a file system somehow? I've got the data cable obviously.

For using the phone as a internet connection, no idea. But to sync crap with it I'd simply suggest installing the Sync software in Wine and using it in there, not sure what else you can do, anyone else???
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Linux Newbie
    The point is that I don't want to pay for proprietary software -- I don't own Sanyo's Windows Software, I'd rather sync with a stable OS.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, from what I'm aware of at least, the only OSS sync apps that I know of are for syncing with a Palm/PocketPC, never heard of one for mobile phones.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Linux Newbie
    There are phone uploaders around on the ineternet that will send a text message to your phone containing a link to a file somewhere...but even that isn't syncing data, its just downloading like you normally would from a link. I can get data TO my phone easily, as should anyone else be able to, but thats not capable of downloading it to my PC.

I've googled for Java Midlets that let you upload data, such as the jar files, midis, etc, from your phone to an ftp server, but I've found nothing -- which is why I'm looking into data syncing with linux.