Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK. I think this the second message i sent here, i know i cross-topic the forum, i am guilty. But this is very disturbing. As i wrote i have an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

hp nx9010 and ati radeon IGP 340M

OK. I think this the second message i sent here, i know i cross-topic the forum, i am guilty. But this is very disturbing.

As i wrote i have an hp nx9010 notebook ant it has ati radeon IGP 340M graphic card. I hacked my kernel for ati and compiled it. I changed my xorg.conf file for ati. Now everything is OK, but i can not activate 3D or GL support on slackware.
    Why i told this, becase by doing same things i successed on Gentoo. No driver packages, just hack the kernel and compile it and run
    Code:
    xorg-update ati
    . So i had GL. Now how can i do this manually on Slackware.I think xorg-update do something about files, copy them to somewhere

I am not a newbie, you can give more complex suggestions. Thanks.
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Install the drivers from ATI???
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Here's a howto to get the ATI Radeon drivers for linux setup http://www.rage3d.com/content/articles/atilinuxhowto/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I looked there before.Here is the answer from ATI:

Display drivers and multimedia applications for notebooks with ATI graphics solutions are available for download from your Notebook manufacturer.

as you can see here: https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...uestionID=1173

And i didnt try to install standart drivers, but now i am downloading them, i ll give a try, but i dont think that it is going to work. I wonder that is there anyone using same notebook and Slackware here?

Linux Enthusiast
    I personally don't have an ATI card, but I've heard several times that the ATI drivers suck for Linux. Most people that have an ATI card just use one of the drivers that come with X.

Linux Newbie
    If this is possible for Gentoo, I mean without any extra package,just with kernel i can get GL working,i might do this on Slackware. But i think nobody has encounter with this problem before for an hp nx9010 and IGP 340M.

Quote Originally Posted by bidi
    I personally don't have an ATI card, but I've heard several times that the ATI drivers suck for Linux. Most people that have an ATI card just use one of the drivers that come with X.
    The drivers have gotten much better, and honestly the newest version blows the OSS ones out of the water IMHO.

Linux Newbie
    Ok i think i should ask the same question on Gentoo section. I can ask what xorg-update do exactly? This is a better way i think.

Linux Newbie
    OK. I installed Gentoo in 2 days. Now i tried this and i have DRI support for my card again. Damn it is working on Gentoo. Again i didnt install neither extra packages nor drivers. I just compile the kernel with the support of ATI and execute
    Code:
    opengl-update xorg-x11
    . This is just a script, it does not install anything. It just copies needed files to somewhere, so if I can find how this could be, i ll come back here...