Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got a new computer and installed slackware 10.2 on it. When I shutdown everything seems to turn off (cpu fan stops, monitor turns off, computer makes no sounds) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Rye
    Just Joined!

Strange Power Management Problem

I just got a new computer and installed slackware 10.2 on it. When I shutdown everything seems to turn off (cpu fan stops, monitor turns off, computer makes no sounds) except my usb mouse is still glowing... I know on my old computer when it shutdown it would leave a message on the screen saying something like "now safe to shut off power" and I had to add apm to my rc.modules file but I have apm built right into the kernel on this machine. I'm using the 2.6.13 kernel found in /testing recompiled for high-mem support (that was the only change I made). Here's the output of some stuff that might help:
    Code:
    root@slackware:/boot# modprobe apm
    FATAL: Module apm not found.
    root@slackware:/boot# dmesg | grep "apm"
    apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.16ac)
    apm: overridden by ACPI.
    root@slackware:/boot# apm
    No APM support in kernel
    I googled the "apm: overridden by ACPI." thing, and it seems APM is sort of an older version of ACPI? I've tried with APM built into the kernel, as a module, and without it completely and nothing seems to work.

Any help would be appreciated!

Linux Engineer
    You shouldn't use APM. As you already guessed, it's deprecated and has been replaced by ACPI.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Have you got ACPI enambled in the BIOS?

Linux Newbie
    From my experience, a majority of the weird quirks i have seen with my configuration (and a bunch other on older systems) has been ACPI actually... Apparently there were different implementations of it, and some of them were not a hundred percent compliant w/ the standards...thus leading to weird interactions between modules and BIOS and settings...

Weird thing is, i have an ACPI mobo in my laptop which functions better W/O APCI installed or moduled! YmmV
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Linux Engineer
    I have a common nForce2 motherboard, as for ACPI, I didn't experience problems up until now (except for suspend to RAM but that seems still to be a problem on numerous linux boxes).
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **