Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I've had this problem for a while now and I believe I just found the answer. Go into the Control Center in KDE and under Sound System unselect Enable Sound ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I've had this problem for a while now and I believe I just found the answer.

Go into the Control Center in KDE and under Sound System unselect Enable Sound System.

I noticed if I killed all artsd instances running and opened firefox again flash played just fine. I'm assuming Arts and Alsa are fighting over the device.

Once I deselected Enable Sound System I had no more problems.

Just Joined!
    This worked for me.

modprobe snd-pcm-oss

Many programs (including Mozilla) will look for /dev/dsp, which was not present in my machine. Modprobing snd-pcm-oss fixed the problem.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmadcat

Go into the Control Center in KDE and under Sound System unselect Enable Sound System.

I noticed if I killed all artsd instances running and opened firefox again flash played just fine. I'm assuming Arts and Alsa are fighting over the device.

This worked perfectly for me, however I have one more problem, im on a laptop and my volume is always really loud, it doesnt change when i use the volume scroll thing on the side of the lappy, any ideas would be appreciated

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gerardo76
    This worked for me.

modprobe snd-pcm-oss

Many programs (including Mozilla) will look for /dev/dsp, which was not present in my machine. Modprobing snd-pcm-oss fixed the problem.

this actually worked perfect for me. once i did it and closed/reopened my browsers sound worked immediately in flash.

using-- debian-unstable kernel 2.6.16-2 kde3.5 with opera,firefox, and konqueror

Just Joined!

but shouldn't KDE idle and release?

Yes, this is the only thing that worked for me too. But, that same Control Panel window also says:
    The KDE sound system takes exclusive control over your audio hardware, blocking programs that may wish to
    use it directly. If the KDE sound system sits idle it can give up this exclusive control.
    Choosing "Auto-suspend if idle after:" (the default, I think) doesn't seem to help. Does it not release? Is this what is blocking Flash?

Just Joined!

Re: Firefox+flash+kde audio problem

Kde had this problem for sometime ... it opens up artsd and blocks audio. You can kill artsd process (by issueing the commands:
    $ ps -aef |grep artsd
    $ kill -9 <process no.>
    )

For me, I needed to kill artsd process only once and later the sound worked ... it may require killing at every log-in for others ... I don't know ...(shrug).

Have fun.

Just Joined!
    Check if alsa-oss is installed, then

$ sudo gedit /etc/firefox/firefoxrc

FIREFOX_DSP=”aoss”

That should work,
    Cheers,

ruipb
    Debian User

Linux Enthusiast
    There is no /etc/firefox on slackware.

Just Joined!
    Firefox + Flash = no sound

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to Linux (SUSE 10.0) and I wouldn't dare call myself a begginer in programming, so I will ask you to be patient on me. This firefox/flash problem is driving me nuts, apparently is not an easy one to be dealt with since I've seen a couple of posts by "graduated" linux users to whom this SHITuation is of apparent non-resolvability.

I've tried some of the suggestions posted, none of them work, however there are some I couldn't (due to my handicap on programming) put to practice as of yet:

Quote Originally Posted by ruipb
    $ sudo gedit /etc/firefox/firefoxrc

FIREFOX_DSP=”aoss”
    No such folder!!! Perhaps because I run firefox out of a shell application (1.5.0.7)

Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin
    I had the same problem, I use firefox and fluxbox, I simply added myself to the audio group in /etc/group and it was sorted
    In lame terms what does this mean? Adding a folder called to /etc named group and then another one with our username?

Originally Posted by gerardo76
    This worked for me.

modprobe snd-pcm-oss

Don't know how to do it. On the terminal window... (line of command)?

Anyway, if you could give me a handout on this one it'll be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast