Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I've googled this pretty exhaustively , tried various solutions but still can't find a fix. In Slackware 10.2 with 2.6 kernel, I have configured my sound with alsa and can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Firefox + Flash = no sound

I've googled this pretty exhaustively , tried various solutions but still can't find a fix.

In Slackware 10.2 with 2.6 kernel, I have configured my sound with alsa and can hear sounds in games and while playing music, yet there is no sound when running flash animations with Firefox 1.0.7. Thing is, I didn't have this problem at all with Slackware 10.1 and the 2.6 kernel. Under 10.2, flash sound in Firefox works perfectly while in Gnome but doesn't when in KDE. I use IceWM. This leads me to believe the KDE sound, (arts) is what IceWM is defaulting to when attempting to run sound for flash. While in KDE, all other sounds work, except sounds in flash/Firefox. From what I've read, flash and arts don't play together well in some instances.

Is there a way to tell Firefox to use Oss or Alsa when attempting to run sound in flash instead of arts? If not, is there a way to fix arts to play sound for flash? Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Dapper

Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Kinda stuck on this one myself. The only way I guaranteed that I would hear the sound is to set "Auto-suspend if Idle" to 1 or 2 seconds in KControl and then make sure there's not anything already running that's hogging the sound system. Thankfully Amarok releases the soundsystem when paused unlike some of the older media players and if using Xine it's a non issue. This really is a nuisance, I'd like to see it get fixed soon. Though this week I have been mostly eating Gnome, and for although there are one or two things I've been missing out the sound in flash is certainly something I welcome.

Linux Newbie
    I've got the same issue. I don't get any sound when visiting www.doommovie.com, or watching the preview movies.

same problem in gentoo. don't think i have sound in NWN either but xmms and xine are working fine. WM is flux btw.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

I guess I take some consolation in knowing it's not just a problem with me. Sorry to hear the rest of you are having it as well. What is the process by which Firefox plays sound with flash while in Gnome? Is there a way to have Firefox use this process instead of arts?

Linux Enthusiast
    I have no problems

make yourselfs a member of the audio group

or change the device permissions *bad*

Linux Newbie
    You can change the permission of /usr/lib/Mozilla-firefox-1.x.x/plugins directory. Then try again. And we see if the problem is this?
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Quote Originally Posted by kern
    I have no problems
    make yourselfs a member of the audio group
    or change the device permissions *bad*
    Quote Originally Posted by heartsmagic
    You can change the permission of /usr/lib/Mozilla-firefox-1.x.x/plugins directory. Then try again. And we see if the problem is this?
    I tried changing the permissions and groups before and it made no difference. I just did it all again just to make sure. Still no change. Thanks anyway.

Linux Newbie
    OK. How is your /dev/dsp files permissions?
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/dsp[b] [/b]
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Code:
    dapper@dan# ls -l /dev/dsp
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 9 2005-10-30 21:53 /dev/dsp -> sound/dsp
    dapper@dan# ls -l /dev/sound/dsp
    crw-rw--w-  1 root audio 14, 3 2005-09-26 21:42 /dev/sound/dsp

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast