Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey, For my main computer I'm undecided as to which distribution to install: Slackware, Debian & Gentoo. The only thing (well, and apart from there not being a 64-bit build) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

How important/useful is dependancy checking?

Hey,

For my main computer I'm undecided as to which distribution to install: Slackware, Debian & Gentoo.

The only thing (well, and apart from there not being a 64-bit build) stopping from choosing Slackware is that there package manager doesn't have dependacy checking, as you all know.

So, given that the package manager doesn't have dependancy checking, what are the advantages and disadvantages of this?

Also, I hear that in Slackware 10.2, since it doesn't come with Gnome, some applications (e.g. Gnumeric) do not install, what can be done about this?

Thanks in Advance
    Tom

Linux Engineer
    Installing the Gnome base libs . If the Gnumeric package is packaged right, then you'll be prompted to install the necessary stuff when you install Gnumeric itself.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

The main advantage of dependency checking is convenience. If you don't mind having to track down XXX package, then YYY package that's required by XXX, then ZZZ package required by YYY, then dependency checking isn't something that matters to you.

Otherwise, it's *very* important.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

There is an unofficial port of Slackware for 64-bit. It is called Slamd64

Slackware does not come with GNOME, but there are third party versions that can be installed that will give you a complete GNOME environment, and therefore no problems. Take a look at gware and/or freerock

There are some tools that will do dependacy checking for slackware. Take a look at swaret
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Yeah, I don't find lack of dependency checking all that frustrating. Sure, I may end up installing an app, have it not run because of xxx lib, then have to find that and install that and keep on until it has everything...but that is only a minor frustration and one that I haven't experienced all that much...
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by deek
    Yeah, I don't find lack of dependency checking all that frustrating. Sure, I may end up installing an app, have it not run because of xxx lib, then have to find that and install that and keep on until it has everything...but that is only a minor frustration and one that I haven't experienced all that much...
    I agree - it's not been a big deal so far. In fact, if one of your goals is to learn more about Linux, I think the lack of dependency checking helps you learn how everything fits together. And since I was coming from an adware/spyware infested Win box, it was also comforting to know that I was only installing pieces that were absolutely needed for the app (as in "well, clearly they're not installing a bunch of things I don't need..."). Odd as it sounds the lack of dependency checking in Slackware help sell me on Linux.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Installing the Gnome base libs . If the Gnumeric package is packaged right, then you'll be prompted to install the necessary stuff when you install Gnumeric itself.
    I'll have to see when I install Slackware, though I doubt I'll be installing Gnumeric, despite how bloated I think OO is becoming.

The main advantage of dependency checking is convenience. If you don't mind having to track down XXX package, then YYY package that's required by XXX, then ZZZ package required by YYY, then dependency checking isn't something that matters to you.

Otherwise, it's *very* important.
    It will be strange having to deal with dependancy issues coming largely from Windows and partly from Ubuntu.

There is an unofficial port of Slackware for 64-bit. It is called Slamd64

Slackware does not come with GNOME, but there are third party versions that can be installed that will give you a complete GNOME environment, and therefore no problems. Take a look at gware and/or freerock

There are some tools that will do dependacy checking for slackware. Take a look at swaret
    I would rather not go for any unofficial ports, I think one of the reasons Slackware is as stable and successful as it is today is because of the developer.

I suppose I could do what you said about getting the Gnome enviroment, doesn't seem *nice* though.

I've swaret but maybe I'm best dealing with dependancy issues for educational purposes, maybe it's a virtue the package manager doesn't have dependancy checking (as stated in an above post).

The problem I've had was a dependancy issue when trying to install Nethack on a minimal install on Slackware 10.1 (no X because I was running 266Hz CPU & 16MB RAM), can't remember what it was asking for. The thing I disliked about it was having to find the right library online for it to work.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2005 12:06 am Post subject:
    deek wrote:

I agree - it's not been a big deal so far. In fact, if one of your goals is to learn more about Linux, I think the lack of dependency checking helps you learn how everything fits together. And since I was coming from an adware/spyware infested Win box, it was also comforting to know that I was only installing pieces that were absolutely needed for the app (as in "well, clearly they're not installing a bunch of things I don't need..."). Odd as it sounds the lack of dependency checking in Slackware help sell me on Linux.
    Hmm, I understand this, maybe the reason the package manager doesn't have dependancy checking is due to the philosophy of Slackware. If it did get dependancy checking what would be next? GUI installer :O

To throw another dependency handling program in there, there is always slapt-get.

My opinion: The reason I chose Debian to try this time (I try many distros) is because it was hands on like Slackware but it has apt. So, if you are really concerned with dependencies, I suggest Debian. Just my two cents.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomX
    If it did get dependancy checking what would be next? GUI installer :O
    Mr. Slackware Fan replies: " 'GUI installer' haha, yeah right.. good one..... er, hey, um what's a GUI installer?"

Quote Originally Posted by TomX
    Hmm, I understand this, maybe the reason the package manager doesn't have dependancy checking is due to the philosophy of Slackware. If it did get dependancy checking what would be next? GUI installer :O
    Yes, and this is mostly why I don't use Slackware personally. It's whatever Patrick wants, and no more. I just don't agree with what Patrick wants.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast