Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
boot off the rescue cd and show us your /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf I'd bet the root entry is wrong in the lilo config.. maybe...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

boot off the rescue cd and show us your /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf

I'd bet the root entry is wrong in the lilo config.. maybe

i just finished reinstalling the slack and it was a success, instead of the sata.i i used test26.s to detect my hd. then i chose the test26.s/bzimage as my kernel from the disk1. then the fluxbux.

the lilo booted and the slack booted fine. but when i typed in startx the gui shows up. but only white background and the mouse pointer and a bar below howing the time. after that thats it i think my hangs again, now what could be my new problem? tnx again guys!

Linux Enthusiast
    did you setup your X config?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    havent tried that, and dont know how to. sorry im a noob. can you help me config it?

Quote Originally Posted by Amaru
    i also did tried the test26.s instead of the sata.i and the slack detected my harddrive. thanks for the info guys. Wish me luck!
    If you installed the 2.6 kernel, and didn't create the initrd per Pat's easy to follow instructions on CD 2, you will get the error message you posted.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Enthusiast
    havent tried that, and dont know how to. sorry im a noob. can you help me config it?
    sure, read www.slackbook.org chapter 6

its all in there.

Just Joined!
    Login as root on the console and type x86config, answer the questions. This is a command line based configuration program.

If slackware 10.2 uses x.org X server (which i think it does) then these should work:
    There might also be xorgcfg that is a graphical x configuration tool. (type xorgcfg as root to start it)

Also there is xorgconfig which will try to automaticall create a configuration file for you (I wouldnt really suggest using it)

tnx for the input guys!!! ill try that when i get home, im currently in my On the job training so i can only work on it when i get home. tnx!!! ill update you when i finished it. tnx again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Reality
    Login as root on the console and type x86config, answer the questions. This is a command line based configuration program.

If slackware 10.2 uses x.org X server (which i think it does) then these should work:
    There might also be xorgcfg that is a graphical x configuration tool. (type xorgcfg as root to start it)

Also there is xorgconfig which will try to automaticall create a configuration file for you (I wouldnt really suggest using it)

Ive tried using the x86config but it doesnt work, i used the xorgcfg and it still didnt work. I read some stuffs in www.slackbook.org and i followed this steps http://www.slackbook.org/html/book.h...TEM-XORGCONFIG
    after finishing it i tried my x
    # startx

here's the new problem:
    White background shows up, a blue bar at the bottom (the word "ONE" on the left side of the bar, a time at the right side) the mouse cursor on the middle and thats it, after 10minutes of waiting nothing happened or even lloads, i follow steps on the site and finsihed the configuration but I cant get my x to work. any ideas? tnx again!!!!

or is it because of my video card?the driver?
    video card: Inno3d FX5500 256mb

I cant find a driver for linux in the site of Inno3d, where can I downlaod one? tnx.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast