Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I just finished installing slackware 10.2 on my pc, I chose all the default coz im a newbie, my problem is when installation is done my pc rebooted, but the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problem after installing Slackware 10.2

I just finished installing slackware 10.2 on my pc, I chose all the default coz im a newbie, my problem is when installation is done my pc rebooted, but the lilo bootloder did not show up, insted it went straight to windows, how can I fix this? help pls!!

thanks in advance!!!

Linux Enthusiast
    you need to boot off the rescue cd and edit your lilo config, then type lilo -v to add it to the master boot record

its probably in the slackbook

www.slackbook.org

i freshly installed the slack again and put the lilo on the mbr, after i reboot the lilo bootloader shows up, when i chose linux, the slackware loads but there was some error msgs and the loading didnt complete and my pc hangs, here are the error msgs.

VHS: Cannot open root device "803" or 08:03
    Kernel failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k bloack major -8, errno = 2
    Please append a correct "root"=boot option
    Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:03

what seems to be the problem now? thanks in advance guys!!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm no pro on this, but I might be able to help so I'll give it a try:

Are you using a sata drive?
    Did you format partitions with reiserfs?
    Which kernel did you choose to install?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Are you using a sata drive? yup
    boot:sata.i
    then setup

Did you format partitions with reiserfs? how???

Which kernel did you choose to install?i think it was the one sata.i.s/bzimage or something but there was the sata.i

the error messages showed up after I chose linux on the lilo bootloader, the messages shows up and the loading hangs

system specs:
    P4 3.0ghz 1mb l2 cache
    P4P800S-X
    512mb ddr400
    Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA

SATA partitioning:

C: 35GB for Windows XP NTFS
    E: 40GB personal files NTFS
    F: 5GB Linux Partition Ext2/Primary

This may shed some light.

It could be that your boot loader is looking for your root partition in a place where it isn't in which case you may need to edit lilo to tell it where it is. Also, it could be that it's not finding the initrd. And you're using the 2.4 or 2.6 kernel? I'm afraid I'm not very good with Lilo and haven't used it in a while, I only use Grub.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    My solution might be a little drastic and might not solve your problem but I thought I'd post anyway.

In my limited experience, that error message you get is usually a kernel problem. I recently installed Slackware and had a similar problem. When you type in "sata.i" it loads up that kernel. However when you get to the kernel select screen and choose "Use the kernel that got you this far" it seems to not pick that kernel. You have to specifically tell it to use "sata.i". This can be done by selecting the "Use kernel from CDROM" option then select sata.i again. I have installed Slack around 4 times last week and selecting the sata.i kernel again seemed to solve the problem. I think if lilo wasn't configured properly then you wouldn't get as far as you did.

From the beginning ive used the

boot: sata.i
    # setup
    then i used the option "Use kernel from CDROM" (which is the boot cd or disk1) i used the sata.i/bzimage after the installation is finished, my pc reboots then the lilo boot loader appears, after choosing the linux, the slackware loads, but it didnt finished the error msg appears then my pc hangs. haaaaayyyy ill just try to reinstall the slackware again

i also did tried the test26.s instead of the sata.i and the slack detected my harddrive. thanks for the info guys. Wish me luck!

Just Joined!
    Na it's ok, no need to reinstall. It might be a lilo problem. Any chance we could get a look at it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast