Find the answer to your Linux question:
Folks, After clean compiles and install of kernels 2.6.13 and 2.6.14, including filesystems ext3 and reiserfs as modules I keep getting kernel panics. To compile I'm running the standard Slackware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel Panic - Slackware 10.2 - kernel 2.6.13 & 14 - mkinitrd for ext3 and reiserfs

Folks,

After clean compiles and install of kernels 2.6.13 and 2.6.14, including filesystems ext3 and reiserfs as modules I keep getting kernel panics. To compile I'm running the standard Slackware 10.2 distro, kernel 2.4.31. I've used mkinitrd 1.0.1 just as recommended
    mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.14 -m jbd:ext3 -f ext3 -r /dev/hda1
    and included the
    initrd="/boot/initrd.gz"
    statement in lilo, then run lilo.

What's wrong?

Pedro

+++Fill up your mind with Premium fuel only...+++

Just Joined!
    I was always told to compile resierfs/ext3 into the kernel and not as modules. If you have your boot/root partition as reiserfs/ext3 then I think you MUST compile into the kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by juvestar15
    I was always told to compile resierfs/ext3 into the kernel and not as modules. If you have your boot/root partition as reiserfs/ext3 then I think you MUST compile into the kernel.
    It's usually custom to compile the filesystem drivers into the kernel, but in the case that the filesystem driver is a module then you'll need an initrd image, this is only needed in cases like having a raid setup or as stated before, having the filesystem driver as a module.
    If you don't have raid, and you compiled the filesystem driver into the kernel (which there's no reason not to) then the need for an initrd image is practically non-existant.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin
    Quote Originally Posted by juvestar15
    It's usually custom to compile the filesystem drivers into the kernel, but in the case that the filesystem driver is a module then you'll need an initrd image, this is only needed in cases like having a raid setup or as stated before, having the filesystem driver as a module.
    If you don't have raid, and you compiled the filesystem driver into the kernel (which there's no reason not to) then the need for an initrd image is practically non-existant.
    Thanks for clearing it up, I had no idea about the reasoning behind it.

Linux Newbie
    Nice explaination. I was looking for it.

Linux Enthusiast
    I've never needed an initrd , but I should really learn how to create one still