Find the answer to your Linux question:
i need to install slackware onto my box and i want to use my local hard disk as the source for the installation files. what/where do i download for this? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

installing from local disk...

i need to install slackware onto my box and i want to use my local hard disk as the source for the installation files.

what/where do i download for this? obviously from a slackware mirror, but were on the mirror? not the isos, but what.

Linux Enthusiast
    you could download the iso's and bust them open

or ..

you could rsync the slackware mirror as so

# kernow 5/2/05

# hmm, seems easy enough to change the mirror server if the current ones down.. good

# the url to sync with
    #MIRROR="rsync://ftp.slackware.com/"
    MIRROR="rsync://inferno.bioinformatics.vt.edu/"
    SUFFIX="slackware/slackware-current/"

FILES="*.tgz"

# below are MY excludes, I don't use tcl, extra (maybe for bittorrent, any of these)
    # added extra to see whats there, and maybe testing too
    RSYNC_CMD="rsync -av --delete --exclude=extra --exclude=isolinux --exclude=bootdisks --exclude=kernels --exclude=testing --exclude=zipslack --exclude=source --exclude=bootdisk --exclude=pasture --exclude=rootdisks --exclude=slackware/gnome --exclude=slackware/k/ --exclude=slackware/kdei --exclude=slackware/kde --exclude=slackware/t --exclude=slackware/tcl --exclude=slackware/y"

REPOSITORY="/mnt/sync/slackware-current/"

# signal to user we are getting **** etc, don't know why its gonna be a cron job anyway probably
    echo -n "Synching with $MIRROR"

$RSYNC_CMD $MIRROR$SUFFIX $REPOSITORY

# tell the user we have finished, finito
    echo -e "Done! - Official Patches are in $REPOSITORY\n"

Linux Enthusiast
    if you save that as get-slackware.sh and edit it to get 10.2 stable or current, make it executable with chmod +x get-slackware.sh and then run it, it will start getting the slackware packages - minus the excludes that are set, into a directory,

as its rsync you can cancel it at any time with ctrl-c and restart it later , it doesnt care.

hope this helps, or not, heh!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close