Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I'm going to reinstall Slackware once I get some correct CD images, but I'm just wondering, assuming I install programs from source, how, when an updated version becomes available, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Without the use of upgradepkg, how are programs updgraded?

Hey,

I'm going to reinstall Slackware once I get some correct CD images, but I'm just wondering, assuming I install programs from source, how, when an updated version becomes available, would I upgrade the program?

Surely, if I extracted it, configured, made and then installed it, it would install the new program and then leave the out-of-date program installed.

How then would I solve this?

Thanks
    Tom

What about something like slapt-get or swaret?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    I don't think swaret or slapt-get will help - because the package name has to comply with the naming rules:
    package name - version - architecture - origin (version of the build, initials of the packager) - extension

For example: slim-1.2.3-i486-1sts.tgz

Slack doesn't install software from source, so the package utilities can't handle them. Hence they won't be upgraded, because in /var/log/packages there will be no trail of them.

You can solve it like this: just do the normal routine (./configure, install) and instead of make install use 'make install DESTDIR=...' where ... is the directory where you will make the package. Follow the rules described at linuxpackages.net, switch to the directory, and do # makepkg (package name). Then you have a regular Slack package you can install, upgrade, remove, ... And even upgrade through Swaret or slapt-get .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Enthusiast
    and you'd be manually upgrading them, well, making packages first obviously before typing make install

eww!

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    I don't think swaret or slapt-get will help - because the package name has to comply with the naming rules:
    package name - version - architecture - origin (version of the build, initials of the packager) - extension

For example: slim-1.2.3-i486-1sts.tgz

Slack doesn't install software from source, so the package utilities can't handle them. Hence they won't be upgraded, because in /var/log/packages there will be no trail of them.
    Could you not use slapt-get or swaret and use slackware-current as your source? That way the packages would have all the conventions met.

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Could you not use slapt-get or swaret and use slackware-current as your source? That way the packages would have all the conventions met.
    Well, the original post asked how would he upgrade a package from source code. From what I understood, he wants to upgrade/update to either a newer version that still isn't available or a program that isn't in the slackware repositories.

Getting that out of the way, it's pretty much what borromini said. Make a package and upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by bidi
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Well, the original post asked how would he upgrade a package from source code. From what I understood, he wants to upgrade/update to either a newer version that still isn't available or a program that isn't in the slackware repositories.

Getting that out of the way, it's pretty much what borromini said. Make a package and upgrade.
    This is why I need to read posts more carefully. Sorry about that.

As the others have said, check out here on linuxpackages.net

Bryan

Just Joined!

Re: Without the use of upgradepkg, how are programs updgraded?

Quote Originally Posted by TomX
    Hey,

I'm going to reinstall Slackware once I get some correct CD images, but I'm just wondering, assuming I install programs from source, how, when an updated version becomes available, would I upgrade the program?

Surely, if I extracted it, configured, made and then installed it, it would install the new program and then leave the out-of-date program installed.

How then would I solve this?

Thanks
    Tom
    When you first configure and make the program, you can then install it with checkinstall instead of install. That will install it as a slackpackage so the system be aware of it, making a upgrade next time easier.