Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
finally after about 5 kenel compiles my kernel works without as many problems as my other atempts. but now i cannot mount fat partitions, there is no sound and (as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

finally got 2.6 kernal working... now no sound

finally after about 5 kenel compiles my kernel works without as many problems as my other atempts.

but now i cannot mount fat partitions, there is no sound and (as per as usual) the graphics look all crap.

i think it might have to do with the character set. at least for the fat partitions thing.

i scanned through the syslog and dmesg files for anything with no luck. there are no errors present in either files.

please help me
    weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

For the fat partitions, did you setup your fstab correctly? I am just going to assume that you compiled support for fat32 in your kernel.

For the sound, did you compile support for your sound card as a module? Not built-in?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

yes i compiled support for fat in the kernel & my fstab is setup correctly.

only i am not so sure that i put the sound driver as a module, as i was using make xconfig for the first time.

Linux Enthusiast
    before compiling, simply give your kernel config the once over before you actually compile, some 'make oldconfig' and tools seem to forget about ALSA settings on mine for some reason, so a quick check to see if its on , or manually enabling it , will help.. obviously.

all it needs is a quick 'make menuconfig' from the shell

what file does it by default put the config file as?

eg ?.config

and i did try reading my old config file before i compiled my latest kernel. That just enabled almost every setting on the list. I am now going to use the "make menuconfig" thing every time now instead of "make xconfig" as the ncurses based menuconfig i find easier to get around (when you know what you are doing).

although, that would explain the sound not working now but it did before.

maybe i just need to recompile my kernel again....

Linux Enthusiast
    if you have a single processor machine, just use the 2.6 pkg from testing/ on cd2

you'll never need to compile another kernel, unless it doesnt support your hardware, it'll upgrade automatically too whenever new slackware patches etc come out.

if I had a single cpu box I wouldn't be wasting time compiling kernels for it. its only because I use SMP I have to really touch pats default kernel config.

now if he decided to make his own binary SMP kernel pkg's

I would be all over them

i tried using the 2.6 k pkg and it missed a lot of hardware including the onboard network and sound and my graphics were stuffed (as per usual...).

all my compiles of kernels i have done have been much more successful than the 2.6 k pkg.

btw, i have the slackware dvd. unfortunatly, i have no slackware cds.

thanks for you help so far
    weed

Linux Enthusiast
    but did you specify the right modules to load?

its a default kernel, no different to the one you built yourself, just with a different module tree.

the dvd just has the content of the 4 cd's anyway, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    i tried using the 2.6 k pkg and it missed a lot of hardware including the onboard network and sound and my graphics were stuffed (as per usual...).

all my compiles of kernels i have done have been much more successful than the 2.6 k pkg. also, you say your own kernel compiles have been more successful,

btw, i have the slackware dvd. unfortunatly, i have no slackware cds.

thanks for you help so far
    weed

i dont know how to specify modules to load... i just know whether or not to put drivers as modules or built in.

Linux Enthusiast
    uhm

you shouldn't be building your own kernels then, period

use the packaged ones and you'll have no need to, either.

how don't you know how to specify modules to load?

its in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

did you read the slackbook?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast