Find the answer to your Linux question:
well, my linux problems continue. I have a IBM thinkpad 380z that was just lying around so I decided to put linux on it since windows is too bloaty for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware Install - Segmentation Error

well, my linux problems continue.

I have a IBM thinkpad 380z that was just lying around so I decided to put linux on it since windows is too bloaty for 32MBs of RAM...

I have successfully installed Suse 6.4.. but I'm having a hell of a time trying to install software so I decided to try Slackware.

During the installation of Slackware when I try to fdisk, I get a segmentation error. Is this a Ram problem? other hardware problem? I can't seem to get past this step in the installation and from what i've heard, slackware is the best linux to use for old legacy computers like mine.. if i can't get IT to work either.. then i'm done for..

Have you tried any of the live cd distros? Might be worth it to see if one boots for you. Damn Small might be a good choice. Slax or Slax popcorn might be worth trying too. If they boot up, then you might want to try installing one.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Enthusiast
    When I had segmentation errors with my Slack install it turned out to be my RAM. The thing is that it wouldn't load anything else either. I had a spare copy of DSL and always got the same segmenation error. Keep in mind that I just simply could not load anything, it would all freeze during boot.

I was gonna recommend getting a stick of 64 RAM but remembered you have a laptop. I've never tried installing more RAM in a laptop, but if it can be done fairly painlessly, more RAM will make a HUGE difference in ease of installation and performance.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here